Chapter 21: Coming To Collect

~Klaus POV~

Klaus had been told by Odessa that he would find Fiore in Lara's apartment but he had only met a vampire that was proving to be useless. He picked up a painting from the wall and smashed it, picking up a broken piece of wood and pointing it at the man's chest.

"WHERE IS SHE?" He roared.

"I already told you. She took my daylight ring and she ran." He squeaked out but Klaus was only enraged by his continuous worthlessness.

"ARRRRRGHH!" Klaus plunged the stake into his heart and stood up as his dead body desiccated. He felt his rage spike as he realised he was now in the presence of Lara. "This is your fault."

"Well to be fair, if Fiore had done as she was told she'd still be here—so technically it's her fault." Klaus growled and began to stalk after her and she backed away from him smugly. "Now you may hate me for involving your pretty little wife but I needed your full attention. You certainly don't listen to me, despite my nonstop efforts to keep you alive."

"Weren't you supposed to be finding my sister?" He snapped.

"Rebekah is being attended to." She said as she waved her hand dismissively and walked around him, pulling out a box and offered up the Serraturra to him.

"If that really is the weapon that can lock me away for eternity, why hand it over?" He asked her suspiciously.

"Proof of my loyalty." She said with a shrug. "I know I did some questionable things but at the end of the day, I have no choice but to be on your side. Take it. It's yours." He hesitated before gingerly taking the bronze medallion from the box.

"To Camille's."

The two of them made their way to Camille's apartment but instead of finding Fiore they only met a disgruntled Cami.

"Klaus? What are you doing here?" Cami asked in surprise. "And Lara?"

"Fiore, have you seen her?" Klaus said immediately cutting to the chase as he barged inside.

"Hello to you too." She said, rolling her eyes at him. "And no, doesn't she live with you again?"

"Nope, that was a doppelganger." Klaus said, beginning to tremble in fear. "Courtesy of Lara."

"Guilty." The vampire said with a shrug.

"In other words whilst my wife was trapped in Lara's apartment, a doppelganger was living under my roof." He sneered. "However, for better or worse, Fiore remains resourceful and somehow managed to escape."

"Okay well have you called her?" Cami asked, a solution Klaus had not come to. "Unbelievable. You should always call."

He pulled out his phone and dialled Fiore's number praying that she would answer and tell him that she was safe.

"Hello, this is Fiore Mi—This is Fiore. Don't leave a message, I will not get to it. Unless this is Klaus, then definitely call back, if you leave a message, I'll get to it. I promise."

He felt his lip quiver in fear at Fiore's voicemail instead of her. The voicemail was greeted by the longest beep of his life. He took a deep breath and left a message for her, hoping it would be alright.

"Um, Fiore." He said shakily. "You said if I left a message, you would get to it and I am so please call me back. Please. I need...I need to know you're okay."

**********************************************************************************

Klaus had dashed into the French Quarter searching for even the tiniest sign of Fiore when his phone had begun to vibrate in his pocket. He eagerly picked up the phone without even checking who was ringing and just hoping it would be who he wanted.