Chapter 34: The Price We Pay For The Ones We Love

"Where is she?" I asked worriedly as I made my way to Elijah's study where he was sat looking through pieces of parchment and Klaus was playing with Grace.

"I have to assume we're talking about Cami." Elijah said, not lifting his gaze from his work. "Just refresh my memory, Niklaus—was I the one who impulsively handed her a daylight ring?"

"Nope."

"Was it you?"

"No, not me either." Klaus answered smugly.

"Oh, no, that's right. It was you, Fiore." Elijah answered with a smirk.

"She left, didn't she?" I asked grumpily.

"Shocking turn of events." Elijah replied, the sarcasm pouring from his mouth.

"No one likes a smartass, Elijah." I told him.

"I can live with that."

"Go find her please!"

"Then who will be left to deal with the growing nightmare of our family's potential extinction?" Elijah said, finally looking up at me.

"Such a diligent defender." I replied, rolling my eyes at him.

"Always has been." Klaus interjected, clearly amused by this exchange.

"Although hasn't the danger diminished seeing as Andromeda is quite literally sleeping with the fishes?" I asked him.

"If only, a darker threat remains. If something out there can kill this family, we need to find it." Elijah replied.

"Well as much as I'd like to help, I should probably help Cami instead." I said with a sigh.

"Perhaps you should stay here." Klaus countered, getting to his feet.

"Then who will go after Cami?"

"I will."

"You will?"

"I needed some air anyway."

"The last time I had you look after Cami, you trapped her in the compound and practically tried to force-feed her."

"This will be interesting." Elijah said with a smug look.

"Shut up Elijah." I snapped at him.

"If it helps, she left around sunrise." Hayley said as she entered the room looking exhausted. "She probably needed some air. I couldn't sleep and I saw her leaving from my balcony."

"What are you doing in my house?" I asked her angrily

"I was actually kinda wondering if it was okay for me to stay here for a few days." She said sheepishly.

"No."

"Of course you may." Elijah told her with a weak smile, glaring at me before pulling out his phone. "Forgive me."

"I meant what I said, no." I continued as Elijah walked out. "I don't care what Elijah says. As I said before, you only live under this roof in a coffin."

"Where else do you expect her to stay?" Klaus asked me with a sigh.

"In her apartment, on the streets, from hell whence she came. Take your pick."

"Fiore—"

"Go on, take her side, I bet you're just dying to." I told Nik angrily.

"Hayley, this family comes with many, many hardships, but there is at least one benefit—you will always have a home here."