Chapter 18: Saner Than Normal

I could tell Will was about to give up the ghost and I still hadn't managed to find the medallion. I had searched every single box and I was still unable to find it. I hadn't been able to focus, because I had been so worried about Will.

"Will, I cannot find it." I warned him. "If I had my magic, this would be a lot easier. Even easier if I didn't have these bloody shackles on."

"Yes, you can." He reassured me. "Please, you have to. Just clear your head and focus."

"You are surprisingly optimistic for someone on the brink of death."

"Optimism is kinda all I have."

I took in three deep breaths and cleared my head and when I opened my eyes, I could see it. I knew exactly where it was. But I'd be damned if I let Lara have it.

"Have you found it yet? Because as far as deadlines go, I'd say yours is almost dead." Lara said with a chuckle as she checked if he was still alive.

"Leave him alone." I growled.

"Depends, have you found it?"

"Depends, will you heal him?"

"Show me first."

"Heal him first."

She scoffed but nevertheless bit into her wrist and let her blood pour into a cup. She slid the cup to the detective and I gave him a reassuring nod as he drank it.

"My medallion please."

"It's in that skull over there." She picked up the skull but as she did a blinding green light emitted from it and temporarily blinded her. As it did I picked up a knife from the table and used it to defend myself but Lara lunged for me and ripped it out of my hand.

"No wonder your husband is fond of you, smart and pretty, quite the package." She said with a wicked smile. "But your heart skipped a beat just before I healed the detective. I know you know exactly where my medallion is. Kinney, take this knife and put it to your throat." Unable to resist the compulsion, he took the knife and held it at his throat, looking at me frightened as he prepared to take his own life.

"Wait—"

"Fiore do not give it to her!" He retorted bravely.

"In that case, slit your own—"

"NO!" I ran up to where I felt the medallion was and sighed in relief as she took it from me.

"I knew you wouldn't disappoint." Lara said as she smoothed down my hair before turning to the detective again, grabbing his throat forcefully. "Now Will, I want you to keep up this wretched failure that is your life. You'll continue with this pitiful investigation, never quite connecting the dots or making any progress whatsoever. After a time, you'll grow to hate yourself for your mediocre talents. All the while, knowing there are things lurking in the shadows, and in the face of these, you are nothing."

"So it was you that did those gruesome murders Cami was telling me about?" I asked her.

"Of course not." She said, rolling her eyes. "Why would I need to hide behind that? No, it's clearly Lucien Castle, shame no one can find him."

"Let him go Lara. Don't forget, the second I get out of these chains, you are a dead woman walking." I sneered.

"Assuming you remember this exchange. I'll leave you with one lesson, one that you used to know—against people like me, like us, humans will always lose." She smirked before taking Will and shepherding him out of her apartment.

"So what next?" I sneered as she came back in.

"You look at me with such disdain." She said, shaking her head.