Chapter 20: Damning Possibilities

~Klaus POV~

Klaus carried the doppelganger and shoved her into Elijah's study. She immediately brought her hands up to obviously magically attack him but he shoved the magic cancelling manacles on her hands.

"A valiant effort, much better than the show you put on pretending to be my wife." He said with a smirk. "And when I'm done with you here, you'll tell big sis to tell me where my little one lives."

"If only that was as easy as tricking your entire family." Odessa said with a dark chuckle. "Unluckily for you, my sister does what she wants. And she definitely doesn't listen to me."

"Maybe she'd be more co-operative if she had to watch me tear you limb from limb." He replied with a shrug.

"The relationship between Lara and I isn't what you think it is. She's my sister in mind, not blood. And we have many siblings. Should you torture me, even kill me, Lara will get over it. After she's had her revenge that is." She said, rolling her eyes. "So, you could torture me, but even if my sister decided to return yours as a result, Rebekah's homecoming would be marred by our family of disgruntled misfits, who would descend upon the city like a plague of locusts, killing whomever stood in their way."

"So violence is unavoidable then?" He said, nodding his head in understanding. "At least I tried."

Klaus lunged for her but she snapped out of the shackles and telekinetically threw him into the table behind him.

"Think, Klaus. Decisions that are motivated by anger never work out. Look at how your wife ended up." Odessa said, stepping out of her seat and gazing out at the city line. "You give into your violent tendencies? We play into the worst possible outcome of this prophecy. There's a better solution."

"And what might that be?"

"You don't prevent fate. You handle it." She said turning to face him. "Lara doesn't care about me enough to save my life so I need to. I'm not from your sireline. I'm the only one in my family and Lara would kill me if she found out without hesitation."

"Sounds like a you problem." He said, shrugging his shoulders.

"No, it's a we problem. My betrayal would be the spark needed to start the sireline war. That means the target on you and your siblings' back will increase phenomenally." She took a step closer to Klaus. "Which is why you should keep your siblings alive by helping me seal them away. You let them fall—only for the year—and you can stay free to watch over them. At this point, it's your only choice."

~Elijah POV~

"No doubt you're angry, rightfully so." Lara said as she poured herself a drink in Klaus's art room. "If you're worried about Fiore, I promise she'll be fine. Provided I'm allowed to leave here with my head intact. Aurora and Odessa too."

"Give me Fiore and the medallion and then we'll discuss the future of your head. Aurora and Odessa too."

"Elijah, you don't know me but if there is one thing you should know about me—"

"Other than the fact that you're an egotistical psychopath?" Elijah said cutting her off, completely unamused.

"You should know that I'm consistent. Always have been. I only want to stop the prophecy, thereby saving myself and my family." She replied with a shrug.

"And how do I know that you're not the author of this prophecy?" Elijah asked her. "Alexis was your daughter and therefore the little fortune teller was loyal to you. As a result, anything that may have come to pass could be the result of your own duplicitous little games."