Chapter 56: The Only One with Any Balls

Whilst Klaus and Hayley ripped the guards to shreds, I snuck through to the back where I found myself in a laboratory. There were at least a dozen people chained up and attached to IV drips, a wolf corpse amongst other various horrors.

"They're all wolves." Hayley said when she finally joined me along with Klaus, both covered in blood. I moved to touch the man and when I did, he opened his eyes and groaned in pain.

"They're also alive." I said in a terror. Klaus backed away in disgust only to find a clear plastic curtain behind him. He opened it only to find the dead body of a young woman with scorch marks all over her body.

"This one's a vampire." He confirmed.

I looked from Klaus to Hayley and saw that the two looked just as terrified as I did. "What the bloody hell is Lara up to?"

~Freya POV~

Freya lay in a crumpled heap on the floor and Vincent looked at her pitifully, trying to crawl up to her without alerting Lara.

"Freya, I'm so sorry." He told her apologetically before turning to glare at Lara. "I can't let you do that." He thrust his arm forward and flicked his wrist, casting a pain infliction spell but Lara merely held her fingers in a countdown from three and when she stopped counting, Vincent had begun to spasm. The Ancestors had refused to budge and when they finally released their hold on him, Lara had charged towards them both. Freya knew she had to think fast, she knew Lara liked to think she had no real feelings but that wasn't true. She threw herself on top of Vincent in order to protect him.

"No one has to die today, Lara!" Lara looked back at her and for a second Freya thought it was over, but Lara composed herself and Freya knew Lara would never allow herself to love another properly.

"If only, Freya. But today is the start of many deaths, and I'm afraid you're up first." Lara grabbed Freya up by the wrist and Freya looked back at her with a pained expression. "I doubt you'll believe me, but I really do wish we could've been a thing."

"Stop this and we can!" Freya pleaded and she knew it in her heart that Lara was going to give it up. She was going to relent, only for Elijah and Finn to show up along with another human.

"Lara?" Elijah called out and at that point Lara pulled Freya up in front of her, using her as a shield.

"Just in time! Cheers!" Lara downed the concoction and Freya knew it was over. "So who wants to see if you guys can catch me before I kill Freya?" Elijah and Finn looked back at her with worry and Lara couldn't help but chuckle. "No takers? Sounds about right. I might be a lady but I suppose I'm still the only one here with any balls."

As she said that, Finn had sped over to their guest and used his gun to shoot Freya, three times in the shoulder, piercing Lara in the heart. She chuckled and looked at them in surprise.

"You, Finn, are a lot smarter than I once thought." Lara and Freya both fell to the ground as Lara died and Freya tried desperately to hold on to her life. Both Finn and Elijah rushed towards Freya and sat her up.

"Hold her head." Elijah told his brother who happily obliged before biting into his wrist and feeding her.

"It's okay, you're okay." Finn said as he soothed her when she had finally recovered.

"Where is she?" Freya asked the others frantically.

"You mean her?" The human boy asked as he pointed to Lara's body. "Dead as a doornail."

"No." Freya said weakly. "She drank the serum. That's what she wanted you to do. She's taken the final step."

A large gust of wind surrounded them, causing the leaves to rustle as Lara rose into the sky with a smirk on her face. She jumped down, landing in a crouched position before baring her new and improved set of fangs and her bright red eyes. The human shot on instinct but Lara just looked back at him and laughed as the wounds healed.

"Nice try, sweetheart." She sped up to him and backhanded him so hard it sent him flying through the air already unconscious. Elijah leapt up at her and even managed to get in a few punches but Lara grabbed his fist and turned him over, throwing him as if he were nothing. Finn lunged at her but Lara landed a right hook that sent him back before he even had a chance to try and hit her.

"You Mikaelsons. I thought you were better than this." Elijah charged again but Lara kicked him in the chest sending him backwards. "What do you think, Freya? This power suits me, no? I've been thinking about which one of your brothers to end first, and I honestly thought it was going to be Klaus. But Elijah's here right now, so why the hell not?"

Lara grabbed Elijah by his lapels, baring her fangs to bite him, to Freya's horror only for Finn to speed behind her and smash the basin against her head. This caused her to drop Elijah in surprise but it gave her the opportunity to sink her fangs right into Finn's neck.

"AHHHHHHH!" Finn cried out in pain and Lara dropped him but he was caught by Elijah. She was in a panic but her brothers were just close enough for her to create a barrier spell protecting the three of them.

"A barrier spell. I always did like them smart. Besides what fun is a game when your opponent just gives up the fight so early on?" Lara said with a smile.

"I can keep this up as long as I need to." Freya told her.

"Ooh, I don't doubt that for even a second, you saucy little minx. You'll have to show me some time." Lara said with a wink. "But I can also sit here and wait you out, I've got quite a nice view of your rack from where I'm standing, so you might want to try a new tactic."

It was then Freya realised that Lara wanted Freya to convince her otherwise. She wanted Freya to give her a reason to leave. And Freya would.

"New tactic." Freya released the boundary spell to the horror of her brothers.

"Freya, what are you doing?" Elijah asked her in a terror.

"Just trust me." She told him.

"Come to convince me to let you live?" Lara asked her with a smirk.

"You don't need convincing."

"Releasing that boundary spell was a very risky move, why do it?" Lara asked her with an eyebrow raised. "What's stopping me from killing you right now?"

"Your feelings for me." Lara smirked and let out a small laugh.

"Willing to bet your life on that?"

"Yes."

"Perhaps you'd be right to." Lara answered. "Shame I don't feel the same about Thing 1 and Thing 2 over there."

"Then leave them, for my sake. Please." Freya pleaded.

"Tell me what I want to hear." Lara said, stepping closer to her. "The truth I mean."

"I—I—I" Freya knew she cared about Lara as well but she couldn't let the words out. Lara gave her a genuine smile and Freya knew her point had been gotten across.

"I know." Lara told her. "So you're free today. But let me be clear that this is an extended deadline, not a surrender. I will be back for your brothers and you can only cash in this favour the once, lovie. I've waited a thousand years; I can wait a couple days longer."

And with that Lara vanished and Freya turned back to her surprised brothers.

"Do you want to explain that?" Elijah asked.

"No thanks." Freya replied quickly, only for Finn to collapse and begin to wheeze heavily. The two examined his large and dastardly bite that hadn't even begun to heal to the horror of both his siblings.

~Fiore POV~

"She wanted their venom." I told Klaus and Hayley who had finished healing and freeing the wolves. "She harvested the venom and reverse-engineered a cure."

"Clever stuff." Klaus said in surprise as he examined the cure.

"And her?" Hayley said asking about the vampire that even I wasn't sure of.

"It was the wolf venom that killed her." Klaus explained. "She was testing her cure."

"That's what I don't get." I told the two. "Why test something if you already know it works?"

A/N: I hope you enjoyed! If you did, please vote, comment and follow! Tell me what you think about Freya and Lara? Team Laya or nah?