Chapter 70: The Only Thing I Love More Than When They Cry

Freya and Elijah had discovered that not only had Andromeda disappeared but that Vincent had the means to extract the serum from her. A serum he would no doubt give to Marcel. The two had dashed off in all directions to try and stop him leaving me by myself in the compound. Except I wasn't alone, someone was following me. And I knew exactly who it was.

"They're out looking for you; you know?"

"I know." Marcel said as he showed himself to me. "But I needed to see you first."

"Why?"

"Because once upon a time, you loved me more than anything." Marcel told me sadly. "And now I'm just an acquaintance to you. And once upon a time you would stop at nothing to put them all in their place. But now, you're the one egging them on. Protecting them. All of them. You sat at the head of the table, you kept this family together, they did whatever you told them to. How times have changed."

"Are you just here to make me feel bad about myself Marcel or do you have an agenda?" I asked, glaring at him.

"I just wanted you to know." He said with a shrug before turning around. "I'm gonna meet Klaus and Elijah at the bridge. No doubt they're gonna try and stop me from taking that serum. So you can stay locked away in your castle, or you can come see the action first-hand. And today I will show you, that all you have done since you came back was a mistake."

"Who says I'll believe you?" I asked him and he turned back with a smirk.

"I do." He picked up my sword and lobbed it my way. "You'll probably need that."

**********************************************************************************

"The prodigal son arrives." Elijah sneered. "Give me the serum. I won't ask you again Marcellus."

"You see this guy?" He remarked, turning back to face me. "My name...is Marcel. And I'm not giving you a damn thing."

"Marcel, I came to apologise and now you mean to take that wretched serum?" Klaus said in disbelief. "You hand it over right now and I will forgive this act of defiance as a moment of weakness brought on by your grief. "

"Let's think this through." I interjected, standing in between the three of them.

"Fiore, stay away!" Elijah commanded.

"Oh shut up, Elijah." I shot back with a roll of my eyes. "I am safe here. Because not one of you would even dare to lay so much as an exhaled breath on me."

"Marcel has the serum, Fiore." Klaus told me.

"I know he does. But why does that even matter? Marcel is your family. The serum only changes the playing ground. It would make him an equal." Klaus looked away and I knew this would only end badly. "You really couldn't live like that?"

"Marcel, the serum." Klaus continued.

"And here I thought this was an apology!" Marcel said incredulously. "But you like it better this way, don't you? Me owing you. And all that pretty fairy tale about me being part of the family. That only works if you're in control. Klaus Mikaelson, smiling down like a benevolent king. Showing mercy to all his subjects. But you still have to be the king! Don't you? The thing about kings though...Eventually they all fall...Even you, Klaus."

"I cannot allow you the means to destroy my family." Klaus told him.

"Exactly! Your family!"

"Fiore," Elijah began. "Marcel will betray us. I saw it with my own eyes."

"I will betray you?" Marcel spat out furiously. "I asked, begged for your help and you left Davina to rot! You put down Lara because she was coming for you, for your family, but the thing is, you made Lara. You turned her and then abandoned her. And you blamed Lara because it's always somebody else's fault. But maybe you were the villains in her story. After all, that is the Mikaelson way, right? Kill, maim, torture, all in the name of family. Always and forever."