Chapter 65: The Death of Fiore Mikaelson

~Freya POV~

It had been mere hours since Fiore had died and Klaus had locked himself in his room refusing to see or talk to anyone except Grace. Everyone had tried to speak to him, Hayley in particular, who was desperately trying to carry out the plans of the failsafe. But Klaus would hear nothing of it. He had lost Cami and then Fiore had been ripped away from him. The one person he never thought he could lose. He had even forbidden everyone from even moving her body. In that time, Freya and Vincent had desperately been trying to un-do the spell that had made Lara what she was. She looked over the balcony when Elijah joined her with a drink in hand. She took the drink from his hand and downed it in one gulp before slamming it back in his palm.

"This isn't over." Elijah told her.

"How comforting." She told him sarcastically.

"Even so, there is work to be done. Lara must be destroyed." Elijah replied and even though Freya felt a pang in her heart she also knew that he spoke the truth.

"No rest for the wicked." She muttered bitterly.

"No rest." He turned to leave but he came back when he heard what she had to say.

"Elijah, I'm worried. About Niklaus." She told him and he let out a deep sigh. "Will he be alright?"

The look on her brother's face only served to affirm her thoughts that Klaus might never recover from the loss of his wife.

"This isn't over."

~Klaus POV~

I looked outside the window as Grace sat on the floor playing with her toys. I had to stare out there as if I moved even slightly to the left, I would see her. Her corpse. The corpse that meant the most to me but would never say a word to me again. I kept replaying her death over and over and over again, hating myself for not knowing what she was going to do and for not being able to stop it. I was certain that she would always be in my life, whether or not we were together, she couldn't die. There would always be a chance that she would come back to me. But like always, she knew better, for she had warned me of the day when she wouldn't be here. When she wouldn't come back.

Klaus sat in their room just after Elliott had died and Fiore came to join him. She sat beside him with a sad smile and squeezed his hand.

"I made you a cup of tea." She told him.

"I know this tea. It's your guilty tea." He replied as he took the cup from her hand. "You don't need to feel guilty."

"Well I do feel guilty. But it's also my comfort tea. And you need comforting right now. How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Me? I'm fine." He said with a nonchalant shrug.

"So this is what we're doing?" She asked, rolling her eyes. "Just pretending like it didn't happen?"

"I'm not pretending. I'm fine." He told her calmly.

"Let's take a trip, shall we?" Fiore dragged Klaus all the way to the cemetery and he sighed grumpily.

"What are we doing here?"

"I'm proving a point." She said as she walked him around the graveyard. "You are far more affected by this world than you would ever care to admit. You want to control the world and as a result the inevitable parts of life put you on edge."

"Some say death is inevitable and yet here we are. I'm a one-thousand-year old vampire that's having a child with my beguiling two-thousand-year old wife." He teased. "I am the perfect picture of health and vitality, a master of fate and a conqueror of death itself."