Chapter 74: The Great and Powerful Lara Flores

~Klaus POV~

Marcel's mob continued to scream incessantly in the hopes of riling Marcel up enough that he would sentence Klaus to death.

"ENOUGH!" Rebekah yelled. "You will not condemn my brother before I have had a chance to speak on his behalf." The crowd quietened down and even Marcel couldn't help but humour her.

"You want to speak? Go ahead." He said with a shrug.

"You accuse my brother of unjust retaliation. Of killing your loved ones. But how is he any different from any of you?" She told the crowd. "The strong fight to determine who is strongest, and my brother is strong! Yes, he fights for power, as do all of you. But his first instinct is to defend his blood, as you act to avenge yours. You say he is guilty, but I ask you, would anyone here do any less?"

"That's your argument?" Marcel said in disbelief. "All's fair, in defence of the family? Hmm. Thing is, Rebekah, I seem to recall he punished you, his sister, for no other reason than fear that you might love someone more than him."

"We have been together for a millennium. We were bound to have a few tiffs." She said nonchalantly.

"Was it a "tiff' when he daggered you for loving me? Was that justice? Or when he exiled you from the Quarter? From your family? From me?" Marcel continued.

"Stop!" She begged as she looked at her burning hex.

"You hate him." Marcel told her. "You hate him as much as anybody here, maybe even more, given how long he has made you suffer."

"You're right." She told him with a giggle. "You see; I haven't been entirely honest. Perhaps it's time to tell the brutal truth about my dear brother Klaus Mikaelson. Yes, he is my brother, and I have loved him through the ages. But no one has felt the blunt end of his ire more than I. He claims that his actions are in defence of his family, but he lies!"

"Rebekah you're not well." Klaus told her. "The curse has poisoned her mind."

"No, let her speak." Marcel said with a smirk.

"Yes Nik, I would like to speak. Although, when I speak out of turn, I often end up with a dagger in my chest. You see, my brother, he cannot handle the unfiltered truth that he destroys everything he touches." She said before turning to face him. "You murdered your mother and your father. Father 1 and 2. You dagger your siblings and leave us in coffins for decades! You even tried to do the same to your wife and had she not escaped, you would have done so! You break our hearts, you forbid us from finding love, all because you're scared that we might love someone more than we love you. I am envious of all of you. You have broken free from him. But I have had no such relief. Chained to him, not because of a sire link, but because of a foolish pact that we made to each other, when we were nothing more than children. What if he could suffer the way I have? The way that we all have!"

"Well...I think we've heard enough. Have you come to a decision?" Marcel asked the mob and Klaus held his breath as he hoped for the answer he was sure to be denied. His fear came true as the mob took pride in screaming for his death.

"KILL HIM! KILL HIM! KILL HIM!"

~Hayley POV~

Hayley entered the room where Elijah lay sickly and in pain, shivering on the bed in Lara's penthouse. She had been avoiding him, not wanting to have to broach the subject of his death, but also knowing if he died without her by his side, she would never forgive herself.

"I saw you. I had a dream. I was holding you, and you were happy." He told her.

"It wasn't a dream. And I was happy." She told him.