Chapter 16: The Spark That Illuminates

I sat in one of the chairs with Grace in my arms finally feeling a little bit of calm. It had been about a month now since I left the compound and I had stayed in Cami's apartment with her, the two of us becoming even closer than we were before. Nik had called me day after day but I didn't even consider answering him until about two weeks ago. It was nice to hear from him. I had loved him all my life but the thought of going back to those people that had caused me so much pain, I couldn't bear it. He normally called me, but today, I picked up the phone and dialled his number.

"Hi Nik." I began.

"Blossom! I—uh—Hi." He stammered in surprise. "Why did you call? Not that I didn't want you to, I love it when you call, it's just that you never call at all."

"I don't actually know. I just felt like I needed to." I told him with a smile starting to break through. "Are you nervous?"

"Just a tad." He said with a chuckle. "It's not every day that your wife finds out she didn't kill your son and then runs away."

"Fair enough." I murmured with a wry chuckle following. "In my defence, it's not every day you find out you didn't kill your husband's son. And that he's someone you already know."

"A double-edged sword I suppose." He said with a laugh. "How are you?"

"I'm good. I've decided I like talking to you." I said with a grin on my face.

"Little old me? Why I'm flattered." I couldn't help but smile even wider at the sound of his voice.

"First time I've ever heard even a modicum of humility from you." I continued.

"Love does things to a man."

"But why?"

"Why what?"

"Why do you love me?" I blurted out. "Anyone can say I love you and perhaps even mean it. Hardly anyone can vocalise why."

"Are you asking me to explain the logistics of love?"

"I know you like a challenge."

"Honestly, I'm mostly surprised you still have to ask." He told me with a hearty laugh. "I love you because, as silly as it sounds, you're perfect. You see things that no one else sees, even in the darkest of people you can somehow find a little glint and become the spark that illuminates. I've known you for a thousand years and yet every single day, you still manage to surprise and amaze me in ways I didn't know were possible. I may not be even close to the perfect man but you make me want to be, for you."

"Wow." I said, taken aback by his words. "You really are a sweet-talker."

"Guilty as charged." He said with a hearty laugh, once again.

"I've been thinking, about coming to see you."

"Then do it. I miss you. I miss Grace."

"I know, it's just that the thought of being around Hayley and Elijah—it terrifies me."

"You've survived Silas, Mystic Falls, Dahlia and death itself, I'm sure you can survive the Mikaelsons."

I chuckled at his sentiment and took in a deep breath before answering. "Okay. I'll come to the compound later today."

"I look forward to it." I cut the phone and as I did I watched Grace's face crumple up as she began to cry inconsolably. I then heard someone scuffle behind me—someone was in my room. I considered dealing with my attacker instantly but the thought of her harming Grace was enough to deter me.

"Don't worry baby girl, it's okay." I said as rocked her and tried not to alert the intruder. "It's alright, it's okay. You know, mummy has to get ready to see Daddy but you, young lady, can go out with your godmother, how's that sound?"