Chapter 38: Backlash

~Odessa POV~

Odessa stood by the pool and looked on in horror as Ariane lay poolside, her hair coated in blood. Lara leaned against the doorway in annoyance as Davina rushed over to check on her.

"What happened?" Odessa choked out.

"This is what happens to those who make deals with Elijah Mikaelson." Lara said casually. "Ariane discovered the weapon that can kill an Original. And since Elijah would never allow anyone to possess so deadly a secret... He killed her."

"This is my fault." Odessa mumbled.

"It is, isn't it?" Lara agreed, glaring at her.

"She was nice to me." Davina said sadly.

"Then I suppose you won't feel bad spending a little more time together then." Lara said her face brightening up again. "You and the others will channel her, search her mind and find the weapon."

"That's a little disrespectful!" Odessa snapped appalled by Lara's commands along with Davina.

"Not to mention dangerous." Davina added. "If Elijah finds out—"

"I know how dangerous Elijah can be." Lara snapped. "But Klaus is my sire and so there will be no rest until that weapon is found."

Odessa left the room, knowing that if she remained she would enter a battle with Lara that she would inevitably lose.

"So that's how it is, huh?" Odessa sighed and stopped in her tracks at the sound of Marcel's pained voice. "You recruit a witch from my city and you don't even tell me?"

"Sorry Marcel but I'm not in the habit of confirming decisions with my subordinates." She snapped. "And let's not pretend as if this isn't just because that particular witch is practically your kid."

"Exactly. She's just a kid." Marcel said exasperatedly.

"And so was Ariane." She replied, feeling her anger surge thanks to Elijah's actions. "Davina is a former Regent. She can handle her own."

"I'm gonna hazard a guess that this was out of your control too." Marcel said in understanding.

"Yeah well some things are out of my control." Odessa said her eyes beginning to water.

"Odessa, I can't let her be your puppet. That's something I have to control." Odessa splayed her hand in Marcel's direction, pinning him to the floor. She had finally cracked. Lara was always attacking her and now Marcel was stepping on her toes, further portraying her as weak. And she was not weak.

"Why don't you get this through your thick blockhead, Marcel? You are in no position to make demands. If the prophecy is true, the Mikaelsons will fall within the year, and you along with them. There are plans in place that will keep us all alive. Maybe you should focus on staying essential to them." Odessa looked at Marcel who was horrified by her and she released him. Her outburst might not have been unwarranted, but it was not Marcel who deserved her ire. "I'm sorry I—I—I can't let anyone else die because of me, okay?"

"You never killed anyone before, huh?" Marcel said, looking at her in surprise.

"No, I haven't. This is a first." She mumbled bitterly.

"But it isn't." Marcel reassured her. "That girl is not dead because of you—she's dead because of Elijah."

"You're right." She said as she turned away from him. "I have something I need to do first but when I'm done, we'll make sure that Davina doesn't get herself into anything she shouldn't."