Chapter 37: Sad, Sad Tales

I woke up on the bed in Klaus and I's room still feeling somewhat groggy after the day's events. Klaus smiled down at me and gave my hand a squeeze whilst Hayley watched warily in anticipation of me.

"Where's Cami?" I asked them, making Klaus release his hand from mine in his bitterness.

"She went home." Hayley answered with a sigh making me give the two of them a stern look. "She needed some time, and yes, I let her go. I know you think you're helping, but all you're doing is pissing her off, and that's the last thing she needs. Trust me."

"The Cami we knew is gone, isn't she?" I told the two who averted their gaze from me.

"I just wanted to keep the blonde demon safe." Klaus said with a sigh. "But the people we think we're keeping safe? Elijah, Rebekah, Grace, even you Fiore—sometimes we do them more harm than good." He paused and then huffed a dark laugh under his breath.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"Keeping Rebekah safe. I know what the weapon he is." He muttered bitterly. "I made the blasted thing myself."

~Elliott POV~

Elliott, Davina and Kol ran into the St Anne's church where Kol put up a plank of a wood in an attempt to hold off the Ancestors.

"GO!" He yelled. "I'll handle them; it'll buy you a minute or two."

"No!" Davina yelled. "We can't leave without him."

"Davina. He can't come with us. Not yet anyway." Elliott told her apologetically. "But we can leave now and come back for him. He will come back, and that's not a promise—It's a fact."

Davina shook her head hysterically at the prospect of leaving Kol behind to face the ancestors alone. And as Kol gazed back at the woman he loved, he knew he had to give her the strength to go on without him and so the Original sighed and squeezed her hands tightly.

"If you don't go now, we're both lost. Besides, this way, you owe me one and don't think for a second I won't aim to collect." Kol gave her a sad smile and kissed her gently on the forehead before pushing her towards Elliott.

"See you on the flipside, Uncle Kol!"

"Did he say uncle?"

Elliott and Davina made it to the attic and barred themselves in as much as possible whilst Davina looked on in horror as she noticed Josh's dead body on the ground.

"Davina." Elliott said taking her by the shoulder and staring her in the eyes. "I know you're scared, but you have to concentrate. Focus on what you love most. Think of the thing that makes you want to live. Fight with that in mind."

"Kol. I swear I'll come back for you."

~Fiore POV~

Hayley, Elijah and I watched as Klaus ransacked through his shelves and boxes in his study. His face was awry with worry as he looked through.

"All my efforts to protect and provide comfort for my family..."

"Do you want to fill us in?" I asked him in exasperation. "Preferably before I tire of being on the same team as Hellfire Hayley."

"The pale horse!" He snapped. "It isn't a constellation, nor is it a Biblical verse. It's a... a trinket I made when we were children. A toy carved from kindling which I gave to Rebekah in the hopes of easing her fears."

"I collected the firewood myself." Elijah said frowning in confusion. "It was fallen branches from everywhere and... the horse was made of the white oak. That weapon is here."