Chapter 25: The White Knight Bodyguard

Despite planning to only spend that night at Nik's I had ended up spending a few days there. I went into the courtyard with Grace one morning where it had been beautifully decorated with Christmas decorations, tis the season and all. A woman walked in and cut her wrist, allowing the blood to pour into a wine glass. I covered Grace's eyes and looked at her in disbelief as she grinned back at me shamelessly.

"Whatever you're getting paid for this, it isn't enough." I said, still looking at her incredulously.

"I'll have you know she is being compensated handsomely." Klaus said as he entered the room and took the glass from her. "And with a more than generous Christmas bonus. Isn't that, right?" She smiled and nodded her head before leaving and Klaus smirked as he sat opposite me.

"All that for compelling her to smile and nod at whatever you say?"

"I merely compel her to feed me and to hang the odd Christmas ornament. She can say whatever the hell she bloody well wants."

"Your daddy is quite loopy, isn't he?" I said to Grace who was giggling on my lap along with me.

"You seem better." He said with a bright smile.

"A tad. Although having gaps in my memory is still not a welcome feeling. Thank you for being so accommodating and not forcing me to give answers that I frankly can't give." He nodded in understanding and I looked back at him before asking my question hesitantly. "Why didn't you go with Elijah to help Rebekah? It wasn't to stay and babysit me, was it?"

"It's not a good idea for he and I to spend hours together in confined spaces, given that the prophecy foretells one family member felled by another." Klaus told me worriedly.

"You think he would hurt you?" I asked him, surprised by this revelation. I knew I didn't trust him, but I didn't realise Nik felt the same.

"I don't know what to think." He replied quietly. "The bloody fortune-teller's predictions continue to unfold, despite all our efforts."

"What about me?" I asked him. "I'm part of that prophecy, right? Are you scared of me?"

"You're my wife. I've been scared of you my whole life." He said with a chuckle. "Besides, people like us—"

"—Always win." I said, suddenly remembering detective Kinney. "I have to go."

I rushed to the detective's home and knocked in his door, praying that he'd be there. According to Cami he had been sacked, having blackouts, going missing when he was supposed to be on duty, leaving gaping holes in his reports, making arrests he can't explain and losing evidence. He had now isolated himself, refusing to leave his house or even take phone calls.

"Will?" I called out. "Are you there? It's me Fiore. We were kidnapped together. Although I suppose you don't remember that."

"I'd assume you had called first." I jumped when I noticed Nik behind me with a smile. "I've been told turning up at someone's home uninvited could be considered rude."

"You don't need to follow me, Klaus." I snapped, shaking my head at him. "I don't need a bodyguard or a white knight, but thanks for the offer."

"I'm just here as a companion." He said with a smug look.

"And I don't want one." I sneered. Klaus suddenly grabbed me and put a finger to my lips, shushing me as he realised what was happening in Will's home. He kicked the door open and my eyes widened in horror as the detective held a handgun at his forehead.

"WILL! NO!" I ran into his house and he aimed his gun at me.

"Blossom!" Klaus cried out in a panic.