Chapter 12: Sarky Comments and Inappropriate Laughs

After we had returned, Elliott had refused to talk to anyone. He had headed straight to his room and gone to sleep. I sat down on one of the indoor balconies, watching the quiet courtyard and sighed when Hayley came and joined me.

"How did you even find us?" Hayley asked as she sat beside me.

"Elliott's spell relented." I said with a shrug. "It was just for a minute or two, but that was all we needed. I was pretty sure one of you was dead. Not all dreams come true."

"Fiore, I'm sorry for what I did."

"Save your apologies." I said, glaring at her. "All I care about is that child and his well-being."

"I'll make it better, I promise." Hayley said, clenching her fists in determination.

"Yes, you will." I shot back. "Because if you hurt that kid even once, not only will he kill you, I'll help him make sure it's the most painful death known to man. And that's a promise I intend on keeping."

I got up and walked into my room where Nik was sitting on the bed with a dumbfounded expression.

"How are you feeling?" I asked him.

"Overwhelmed."

"Fair enough." I said with a wry smile. "It's not every day your son resurrects from the dead as a 17-year-old and lives in your house under a different name after he was killed by your psychotic dad and your one-night stand."

"Only in the Mikaelson household." He said with a bland chuckle.

"Cami's got her work cut out for her at the next one of your chats."

"All I can think about is how he's feeling." He told me, near tears. "And the worst thing is that I can't even begin to imagine. I should've known. He's my son for crying out loud, I should have been able to tell the minute he walked in."

"You can't blame yourself, Nik." I said, ruffling his hair and kissing his head. "It's not your fault. You said it yourself, he was supposed to be dead. Plus, he is 15 years ahead of his time."

"Do you think he hates me?"

"Elliott doesn't hate." I answered with a smile. "Hayley killed him, Elijah and Jackson kept it a secret and even then it took very little to get him to relent. He's an angry teenager, but anger dissipates. Most of the time anyway."

"I'm sorry about keeping it a secret from you." Klaus said as he squeezed my hand affectionately. "I shouldn't have done that. It wasn't fair of me."

"You did what you thought was best. And now with the prophecy basically saying I'm going to off one of you lot, I can do a spell that will hopefully put it all to rest." I said with a sigh.

I waited until Klaus was asleep before going to do something I'd been putting off for far too long now. I got dressed and headed to Lara's apartment, preparing for anything in case she was exactly who I thought she was. I knocked on her door and as it opened, there she was, her jet-black hair flowing about her as it always did and her eyes smiling brighter than her mouth did.

"I was wondering when you'd make an appearance." She told me, her voice unchanging, having kept her accent through all the years. "Do you want to come in?"

"That depends. Do you want to kill me?" I asked her.

"Don't be silly." Lara said with a chuckle as she let me inside her apartment and sat me down on the sofa. "What's your poison?"

"Rum."

"Got it." She poured us both a glass and sat down beside me as she handed me the drink. "So, how have you been?"