Chapter 40: Something In The Alcohol

~Elijah POV~

"Well this little exercise has been fun Marcel, but why don't you come outside and give me the charter?" Elijah said as he spoke to Marcel on the phone, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Mmm, how about no? I'm fine right where I am. I got about three minutes until I'm the new Grand Poohbah. Until then, good luck trying to find me." Marcel said, his voice coated with a sleek smugness.

"Look outside." Elijah replied, rolling his eyes as he noticed Odessa watching close by. "When your sister's a witch, tracking down enemies is surprisingly easy."

Marcel came out from the house he was residing in and smirked down at Elijah from atop the balcony.

"Does having a sister who's a witch make it easier to get in without an invitation?" Marcel asked him, the vampire as smug as ever.

"Do not think I am above burning this house to a crisp." Elijah warned.

"And let me guess, that'll be because you didn't have a choice too?" Odessa questioned, glaring at him before focusing her efforts in on Marcel. "Marcel. Outside. Now."

Marcel retreated into the home and as he did, a middle-aged woman came out to greet the two of them.

"Odessa and Elijah, I presume?" The woman smiled as she stood outside the doorway. "Please, come in." The two of them fleetingly glanced at each other before fighting their way into the house. Their actions proved to be futile as when they reached the room were Marcel was, it was as empty as could be.

~Klaus POV~

Klaus furiously paced around the Layfette cemetery as Cami had finished relaying the events of the evening to him. A witch from the Sisters coven had snapped his neck and stole the white oak. Cami looked back at him sheepishly, seeming genuinely guilty for her actions but it was not enough to quell his fury.

"You realise that this is your doing?" Klaus growled at her. "Your immature attempts to manipulate me played right into our enemies' hands!"

"I know." She accepted with an apologetic sigh. "And I'm sorry."

"Your apologies won't bring back what's lost!" Klaus snapped in his exasperation. The problems that had been set out on his plate only seemed to pile up and with each addition, he grew more restless.

"Then shut up and let Vincent track the witch!" She shot back, reminding Klaus that he was also in the presence of the regent. The man stood up to leave and Klaus called out to him, not prepared to allow his last chance to retrieve the white oak go to waste.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Listen, I want to find that crazy witch as much as you do, but I cannot concentrate with your incessant bickering!" Vincent snapped. "You guys are on the precipice of annoying me to death—and that's not an exaggeration."

"Then by all means, go do what needs to be done." Vincent nodded and left but when Cami went to follow him, The Original yanked her back by the collar of her shirt. "Nice try, but you, however, do not leave my sight."

~Marcel POV~

Odessa and Elijah dashed out of the house but seemed displeased and resigned to their situation as the rest of the Strix convened there also.

"It's midnight, Elijah. Time's up." Odessa grumbled. "According to your blasted laws the contest is complete. The ingrate wins."

Marcel appeared from behind them with a smug look as he admired the charter he had managed to keep in his possession, even though the odds were more than in his favour.