Bruised

I watched Mina work, effortlessly gliding between customers and coffees like she was born to the profession of a Barista

I watched Mina work, effortlessly gliding between customers and coffees like she was born to the profession of a Barista. Her energy seemed to soak into each customer as she spoke, laughed and smiled at them. I had taken notice of how her eyes had a glint in them each time she smiled and how a small dimple would form on her left cheek.

Her warm smile, bright eyes, and fuller figure was what had brought me to the conclusion that she would be perfect for the job. I just had to make her accept..

But there was only one problem... Her attitude.

"What do you mean? A man like me?" I asked annoyed at her judgement.

"I-I mean.. You look normal, I thought people who did things like this believed in witchcraft and wore long black leather jackets with long hair." She replied.

"Well how very narrow minded of you." I snapped irritated at her and myself for getting annoyed so quick.

"Guess I'm sorry about that. Anyway,
I have to take my narrow mind back to work-" She retorted rising from her seat, I shot her a look not willing to let her take the piss out of me.

"Sit down." I ordered.

This was the testing factor, of whether she would be suited to the job I wanted to procure her for. I watched with slight amusement as her eyes narrowed, her upper lip twitch as she fought with her next action.

Slowly she settled back into the booth opposite and folded her arms before glaring at me.

"I've waited 2 hours to talk with you, the least you can do is converse with me." I spoke in a quiet tone to make sure that nobody else could hear our spat.

Mina made no effort in apologising which confirmed to me, that my earlier statement was correct she would be perfect.

I took the chance to take in her appearance, her skin looking a little warmer from the last time I saw her, how the dark circles from her eyes were almost gone, and how her eyes themselves looked brighter.

"You like working here?" I asked as her eyes moved down my body. She seemed to be in thought but before I could ask her again, she nodded.

I watched as her eyes moved back up to my face, settling on my mouth. I swallowed thickly as her tongue wet her lips and shoulders seemed to relax.

I wanted to offer her an opportunity, one that could give her some serious money to play with, maybe even move her out that apartment.

Through years of working in abandoned places and a short stay in hospital, I wasn't no stranger to the smell and look of black mould which consumed the walls of her apartment. I didn't pry because I knew she was embarrassed of the place as she tried to pull the door closed behind her. No doubt she would have thought I was nosey for even looking when I'm fact, I was simply concerned.