Enigma

"-any way,his mom was really impressed that I knew about Vogues colour for this season, thanks to you. I even managed to get some reading in and tried to have a conversation with her about designers but I think she knew I was out of my depth and kept it simple." Ella shrug as we clean the shelving behind the counter.

"Well that's good at least you've found some common ground." I smile genuinely. I may not like worm-boy, but Ella was happy and I had no intentions on stamping on her happiness. Her happiness included telling me the same story at least 3 times.

"Yeah.." She trails  off before her head snapping in my direction. "Tell me then."

"Tell you what?" I question trying to play dumb.

"You know. You can play the dumb card all you want Ms. Brooks but I know you are far from it. So spill. What's been going on with you and this 'Zak'? What's he like?"

It was my turn to shrug this time as I didn't have any answers for her. I myself was still trying to answer those questions and everytime I thought I was getting somewhere, he would shut himself down and leave me with nothing.

"I honestly haven't worked him out yet. He is mysterious but he's also not. He's dominating but also caring, he's rude but also kind. He's a damn enigma and it's giving me a headache." I answer.

"Men give us headaches, it's what they are here for. For fun and headaches." She smirks, her neck revealing exactly what she meant by fun.

A faint smile plays on my lips, a ghost of her wide smile, I once understood the fun until I found out that the only source of fun was at my expense. I sigh lightly and look around the cafe to see it's a ghost town. Our final dedicated customers were gone for the day and it left us twiddling thumbs.

"How long do you think we are going to be open for?" Ella asks turning to see what I had been observing.

I shook my head, "It's hard to say. I haven't seen the books lately but I'm guessing if this is anything to go by then it wont be much longer."

My ears didn't catch Ella's response as my brain slowly ticked around to why me accepting Zak's proposal was probably the most sensible idea yet. I had money coming in, no matter what. Money that I could live comfortably on until I found myself another job, and I would.. Because money doesn't last forever..

I tossed the sponge onto the shelf before grabbing hold of it again and scrubbing with a little more force to remove the dust and scum that had settled on it. My eyes connecting with the flecks of red dug harshly into the sponge.. My nails. My mind made the connection, leading me to think of Zak who had gone incognito again, it had been 2 days since I saw him and whilst that didn't sound like a long time, it did for me. Especially when I was meant to be working for him. I had never asked him how this was going to work, did I wait around and wait for him to shine his bat signal? Was I suppose to contact him every day? Or was I just suppose to accept the money and do any job he asks, which hadn't yet arrived? I didn't know, and every time I tried to ring him. I hit his answer machine, infuriating me that little bit more.

I understood that running a museum was hard work, not to mention how busy it was. Everyday, people queued up to see the haunted items he had collected and displayed. Who knew it would be so popular?

"So, you've gone back home.." Ella spoke pulling me from my mind.

"Hmm? Oh yeah. Went back last night.."

"And?"

"Still mouldy." I answer ignoring the cramp that had taken hold of my hand. I had spent the majority of the night scrubbing down my walls, cussing and even having a crying spell as I sank to the floor asking myself why this was happening.