When the pieces fit

I woke the next morning a little disgruntled at the fact I was yet again, in bed alone. I knew Zak had to be up early and from the time on my phone, it was getting on, but I still had a small slither of hope that I would be able to wake up in his arms. It seemed as though that wasn't happening much lately..

"Wakey, wakey sleepy head." Zak smiled as he entered his bedroom.

"No. You're dressed."

"I thought after last night you might be too tired." He teased giving me a cheeky grin.

"Not too tired of you though." I responded rolling onto my back and sitting up as he entered his wardrobe.

Holding the sheet to my chest, I watched as he exited the wardrobe pulling his case behind him. "When do you go?" I asked feeling the threads of desperation.

He gave me a small smile "In a minute.. Bacon is on his way."

I nodded weakly.

"You'll be okay though, won't you? I mean, if you don't want to stay here then I can drop you off at yours with Gracie?" He offered.

"No. No. I kinda want to be here..." I spoke looking around his room.

Last night, Zak had picked me up and brought me to his house after sorting an maintenance issue at the museum. He said explained that he also had to meet the fire marshall as Zak wanted more alarms fitted into the building. The last thing he wanted was for a fire to break out and ruin a life time of items he had collected. The whole idea of me coming to his house last night was to spend the night with him before he left, but also because he was leaving me in charge of his home and Gracie. I accepted purely on the basis of 1- Gracie was an absolute babe. 2- I would still be near him, even if he wasn't here... Sad right?

"Are you sure? I mean I ca-"

"Zak." I spoke cutting him off. "I'm sure. Me and Gracie are going to have loads of fun. Making a mess, eating all your food and looking through all your drawers."

He chuckled "Well, I have nothing to hide. So feel free. You never know.." He spoke closing the gap between us and pecking me on my lips "You might find something you like.."

"Hmm. Sounds... Ominous. Is there a particular hiding space that you like?"

"You'll have to find it." He whispered kissing me again. Once his hand wrapped around the back of my neck, he deepened the kiss causing my stomach to bunch up with tension.

"Do you really have to go?" I whispered.

"Peaches.. Don't do this to me."

I pushed my forehead against his, trying to savour the feel until he came home again. "You're right. I'm sorry. Forget I said that. Casual and shit right? No lovey dovey bullshit."

"Min-"

"So get your ass out and don't come back until you've got evidence. Mr Bagans!" I threw my finger out, pointing towards the door for added effect.

He chuckled, but our moment was taken when the door bell rang. "That's me.."

My heart quickened.

I thought I was going to be okay with staying here. But now I was finding out that this was a whole new level of hardness. He would normally just disappear without a word, or he would give me a weeks notice before just going incognito. Now I had to watch him go?

I swallowed back my anxiety and nodded. Fixing a smile to my lips as he rose up off the bed looking concerned. "Go, get out you damn scoundrel."

He leant in to give me a kiss but I twisted my head only giving him my cheek. "Peach-"