Whiskey in the sunlight.

I walked across the lounge and slid into the seat beside Zak, putting my feet under my backside before grabbing his swollen knuckles

"You shouldn't have done that." I spoke as he pinched the bridge of his nose with his eyes closed.

"He deserves a crushed windpipe!" He fumed before looking at me apologetically.

"Oh, I don't mean about hitting him. A part of me is glad you did. But I meant you shouldn't have because I now have to cause you some pain." I admitted placing his hand on my lap and dumping a bag of frozen berries on it.

He hissed and tried to take his hand away but I grabbed his wrist with both hands and held it here. "O-owh!"

"Don't be a baby." I hushed.

"I just assaulted a man for you. Show me some love at least?!" He complained.

"Fine.." I paused before looking away from his hand to look up to his face. "Thank you, from the bottom of my heart."

That caused a smile to curl his lips, despite the pain he was in.

"He still deserves his windpipes crushed."

"Karma catches up with people." I answered inspecting Zak's fingertips, soothing my thumb pad over each nail.

"So does my fist." He quirked before hissing when I placed pressure onto the bag. "Why do I get frozen berries? What happened to peas?"

"Because I didn't have have any peas, be grateful, like I am grateful for you hitting him. Kinda."

"Kinda?"

"Well I don't want to pet your ego too much, you might want to go back and finish the job." I teased.

He chuckled before closing his eyes.

"Do you want some painkillers?" I questioned.

"No, this is good enough." He answered.

I wondered if he closed his eyes to mask any emotions or pain in them, or if he was tired or maybe even regretted doing it. Of course he didn't sound like he did, but you never know. Regret usually comes after being hurt.

I rubbed his arm sympathetically and turned my attention back to his hand. "Sorry about dinner." He muttered.

A smile played my lips this time "I think you can be forgiven, considering the circumstances."

"I'll take you out another time, just next time, I won't punch the waiter or drag you out." He promised.

"Damn, just when I got my hopes up too." I joked lifting the berries to see the state of his hand. "How hard did you hit him?"

"I honestly don't know, it happened before I realised but I don't regret it."

I gave him a gentle smile and looked over his face as his eyes closed tighter. He was in a bit of pain, but maybe it was from the coldness as well as the swelling. Sitting beside him in silence, I couldn't help but feel proud, to know I had someone like him in my corner. Sure we didn't always get on and for the last few days all we have done is fight but he didn't think twice about going out the back, finding Gavin and putting one on the end of his nose.