Cut. The. Cord

I chewed my lip thoughfully as I stood outside my old landlord's apartment, my eyes taking in the peeling green paint and the unmistakenable smell of cat's pee. We were told that no animals were allowed in the apartment block, but I knew that one of the tenants had a cat, especially when it began to meow at 3am outside my front door once...

This block, it wasn't always bad. Sure Alastair was a lousy landlord who only thought of lining his own pockets than to help his tenants keep their homes up to a brilliant standard. It was as if he wanted to see his investments of the apartments go down the drain.

But that wasn't my problem now, not anymore, all thanks to Zak.

I had a new home, a brand new home in fact, where the ceiling stayed mould free and the walls remained dry. Where there was fantastic heating and the shower was nothing less of a God given gift. However, I still woke a few times within the past few days, thinking it had all been a dream and that I was in fact, still in my hazardous home.

Which was why I was here today, to collect the remainder of my things and to hand my notice into Alistair. Pulling the envelop from my back pocket, I tap it on my hand, feeling the weight of my words on the paper, each line stipulating why I cannot and will not be living in this apartment anymore.

Nodding at my final string of attachment to this place, that being the letter I held in my hand, I stepped towards the door to push it through the mailbox. When the door suddenly opened, my body recoiled at the mere thought of seeing Alistair this morning, his corded pants and variously stained shirt.

But I was taken back.

And probably hitten severly hard with a large pan to the face as my jaw drops at the sight of a well dressed and dare I say, handsome man made his way out the door. Upon seeing me he pauses.

"Hi." He smiles revealing perfect white teeth.

"H-Hi." I squeak before clearing my throat. "Hi."

"Can I help you?" He asks.

"Um. Is Alistair there? I have a letter for him."

The man who remains nameless, raises his eyebrow "What sort of letter is that?" He questions, refusing to take it from my outstretched hand.

"It's my notice.. I no long require the apartment I was staying at."

The smile almost fades of the mans mouth, but he quickly fixes himself, pulling the dashing smile back to his lips. I bite my lip gently seeing the dimples in his cheek, whilst I look at him, I decide to move my eyes off his face and take in his attire to try and determine who the stranger was.

His brown hair was swept back on his head as a small amount of stubble dotted his jawline. He wore a leather jacket, with jeans and a v-neck white top which clung to his body as a little hint of tattoo work peeks out from the neckline.

"Oh.. I'm Hunter, by the way." He introduces himself by thrusting his hand out.

I accept it and give it a gentle shake trying not to bite through my lip at the warmness of his skin in my palm. "Mina.."

"Mina? Unusual name." He speaks giving me a smirk.

I swallow the lump that was slowly coating the wall of my throat. "Yeah, I guess it is. So is he here?"

Hunter looks over his shoulder into the apartment before turning his eyes back to me "He is in a bad mood, I just beat him at chess."

Chess? Since when the hell did Alistair play chess! He could barely play snap!

"Oh.. Could you maybe just pass this on?" I ask.

He took it from my hand gently. "It's a shame though."