Ch.1: Come on closer

[Aud's theme: Please Don't Say You Love Me by Gabrielle Aplin]

  'Oh, what should I say?' I thought while packing my suitcase. 'What should I do?' Pausing with my hands on a pile of clothes, I looked up. 'Oh no, what if I get lost, and I never get found because he doesn't know I'm coming?'

  I shook my head. 'Nah. I don't get lost that easily.' Checking the digital clock sitting on the nightstand, I saw that I still had some time until I had to be at the airport. Stuffing the clothes into the suitcase, I zipped it up to close it.

  "And now to the weapons." I said out loud while pulling out a duffel bag from under the full-sized bed. Once I was done packing my favorite pointy objects, I grabbed my things and headed to the door. I barely saw anyone on my way out, so the goodbyes were fairly easy to get through.

  Thankfully, the taxi was there by the time I got outside and was pulling in just as I was closing the door behind me. I had spent years of my life in this place but now I was off to America. California, to be more exact.

  The cab ride was tolerable, and the line at the airport was exhausting. Thanks to my connections, though, I was able to bring my weapons with me aboard the plane. The ride was horrifyingly long, and if I heard another baby cry, I felt as if I might burst- even if a kid just stared at me for another second. I hurried off the plane as soon as I could and rushed out of the airport.

  "Ah! Fresh air!" I breathed in, not having to smell the stench of people and plane food. "Now, how about I take a look around first? I want to get a good sense of Sunnydale before I go see Pops." I muttered to myself while looking around.

~

  "Hello?" An older man answered the door before his eyes went wide as he looked down at me. "How- What- When-?"

  "Pops!" I grinned while dropping my bags and launched myself at the man. "Sorry I missed Thanksgiving. Flights were booked, and I couldn't get on a plane until it was too late." He gave a small laugh.

  "Of course they were." He said while hugging me. "How did the Watchers Council take your leaving?"

  "Eh. The stuffy, old coots said it was fine to come. After some heavy bribing over tea and biscuits, of course." I replied while stepping back. "How have you been?" Just as I asked, the microwave inside went off.

  "Oh, come in." Giles pulled me into his home before grabbing my bags and toting them inside. "I've been quite well, actually. And you?"

  "Spiffy, as they say." I mocked an English accent while looking around the room. "What are you makin'?" I glanced at the tall man as he went into the kitchen and pulled out a yellow mug from the microwave.

  "Blood." He sighed. Raising a brow at him, he just shook his head. "Follow me. There's someone I want you to meet." Pops smiled again. Entering the living room, we passed the little kitchen area. As I followed him, I caught sight of a redheaded woman with her nose in a book on the couch just before we went down a small hallway to the bathroom.

  "It's about time. Hope you got it warm enough." I heard a man say, his voice accented like Rupert's. Then I heard a woman sigh after Giles handed over the mug with a straw. "Who's the bird?"

  Glancing around Pops, I saw a young woman with blonde hair sitting on the edge of the tub. In the tub was a man in shackles with bleached hair that was slicked back. 'Only in his house....' I thought while looking at all of the heavy chains on the bleached blond.