Ch.62: Women and children all disclaim

"It's wrong. Without labor, there can be no payment and vice versa." Anya was saying as she, Willow, and Xander were sitting around the coffee table, eating popcorn. "The country cannot progress. The workers are the tools that shape America." Anya pointed.

  "Good to know." Buffy popped off.

  "We were just kinda feeling like tools." I added while standing next to her.

  "And now we know why." The guys all turned to look at us. I had finally found a job that was willing to let my blank spaces on the application pass, and Buffy had decided to work there with me since it meant even more income for the house to pay the bills. Too bad it was fast food.

~

  "You've seen us in your city or small town across the American West." The man narrating on the TV said. "You've ordered our delicious food from our happy employees. But now you're seeing it all in a new way. You're seeing it from behind the counter because you've just become part of the Doublemeat experience!" Sitting next to Buffy in the dark room, I held the goofy cow-chicken hat in my lap.

  "I'm part of it!"

  "I'm part of it."

  "I'm part of it, too." People were saying on the screen while smiling and working.

  "This cow and this chicken don't know it yet, but they're destined to become part of it as well. So what happens when a cow and a chicken get together? Why, that's a Doublemeat Medley! Let's take a look now at the process of harvesting these two special meats." The training video then switched over to show how the cows and chickens were slaughtered.

  "Holy crap." Buffy mumbled as I was starting to feel hungry.

  "Washing your hands thoroughly after each visit to the restroom." The narrator continued. "Follow these rules, and you'll be a happy part of the Doublemeat family for a long time!" The lights were then switched on, and I flinched from the sudden brightness.

  "Interesting, isn't it?" The manager asked while looking at us.

  "Oh, yes. Like how the cow and chicken come together even though they've never met." Buffy put on a smile. "It's like Sleepless in Seattle if-if Meg and Tom were, like, minced." I didn't get the reference, so I assumed it was one of the TV shows she watched.

  "I'm Manny the manager." The man said after turning off the TV. "It's not a joke. It's just my name."

  "Right. You mentioned that a couple of times when we filled out the applications." I popped off.

  "Why do you want to work here, Aud? Why do you want to work here, Buffy?" Manny asked while putting his thumbs behind his belt. "You seem like sharp young women, and there are a lot of other jobs."

  "Well, I-I kind of need money pretty quickly- like, today." Buffy replied. "So, I didn't want to go through a lengthy interview process, and I figured this was probably the fastest way....to- Because I wanted to be part of the Doublemeat experience?" Buffy said after seeing the manager's face. He then looked at me.

  "To be a part of the Doublemeat experience."

  "Mmm." Manny nodded with a smile. "Come on. Let's take a tour." Walking with him to the employee break room, he gestured to two guys at a table. "Phillip, Timothy, this is Buffy and Aud. They're gonna work the counter."

  "Hi." Buffy gave a small wave while I shifted on my feet. The one with tattoos all over his crossed arms looked over.

  "What happened to the other one- Katherine?"