Ch.50: Who is the spy in your campaign

The Magic Box was filled with customers with the 'Halloween Bone-anza', and the bell was ringing on the door nearly every second with people coming and going. Anya was skating around, helping customers while Xander was occupying children. Pops was behind the counter, ringing up sales, and I was assisting people around the shop. Dawn was making signs to put on the tables and shelves to show off the Halloween sales. Even Willow and Tara were helping out.

  "I'm just saying you might want to rethink the stereotype before someone turns you into a toad." Willow was getting upset again due to seeing yet another green, warty witch with a broom. The 'witch' took the Remedial Witchcraft book from the redhead and rolled her eyes.  "And while you're at it, why don't you try removing that broomstick from your-"

  "Dawn!" I cut Willow off while standing next to her and watching the little Summers walk over. Putting an arm on Willow's shoulder, I gave her a look.

  "Dawn." She smiled.

  "Hey. Don't stop the invective on accounts of me." Dawn said.

  "If I see one more idiot that thinks witches are all hairy moles and rotten teeth-"

  "Excuse me." A small voice came from below. Looking down, I saw a little girl dressed as a witch. "Do you have any candy corn?"

  "Oh!" Willow knelt in front of the girl. "Look at you. You are just the cutest thing."

  "But I-I thought you said-"

  "I know. But look." Willow glanced at Dawn before turning to the girl. "With the hat and the-the wart. Ah. Oh. Let's go fill your tummy up with sugary niblets, okay?" The real witch then walked away with the pseudo-witch.

  "So, what are you supposed to be?" I asked Dawn.

  "Oh, I'm not dressed up. Halloween is lame."

  "What? How? Halloween is amazing!" Looking at her, I could hardly believe my ears.

  "Yeah, I keep hearing that. What are you supposed to be, anyways?" She furrowed her brows while looking at me.

  "Well, I heard about that time that everyone got turned into their costumes, so, to be on the safe side, I went with something badass." I grinned. "I'm Lara Croft from Tomb Raider."

  "Uh-huh...."

  "Oh, Anya's calling!" I waved goodbye to Dawn and went to the ex-demon dressed as one of Charlie's Angels.

  "Aud, uh, we're running low on mandrake root. Check the basement." Anya then skated away.

  "Oh, since you're going down there, mind taking this?" Buffy asked me while holding a box full of miscellaneous objects.

  "Still got that thing about the basement?" I asked while taking the box.

  "Just playing it safe." She said with a smile.

  "Okay, um, could you cover the books for me?"

  "Sure." Buffy nodded.

  "Thanks, you're a lifesaver- and I don't mean the candy." I grinned while walking away to the basement. Putting the box on my hip, I opened the door. Going down the stairs, I began to mumble to myself. "Wait....where's the mandrake root again? Um, I think it was- Oh!" I slightly jumped when I almost ran into Spike as he was walking the opposite way I was. "Bell. Neck. Look into it. Bad enough I can hardly smell you vampires."

  "Come with a nice leather collar, does it?" He raised his brows.

  "What the Hell are you doing lurking down here?" I asked while holding onto the box.