Ch.53: You are the one that I desire

The following day, everywhere I looked, I saw people singing and dancing. When Buffy and I went on patrol that night, she decided we should split up to prevent another duet from happening. I nodded my head in agreement with her, and we then went our separate ways. I decided to go see Spike and find out if he knew anything about all this musical crap going on since he had connections in the demon community.

  Pushing open his crypt door, I saw the vampire climbing up the ladder in the hole in the ground.

  "The sun sets, and she appears." He stood there with a bottle of alcohol in his hand. "Come to serenade me?"

  "So you already know what's going on?"

  "Well, I've seen some damn funny things the last two days." The vampire walked away from the hole, and I closed the crypt door behind me. "A 600-pound Chrirago Demon making like Yma Sumac. That one'll stay with you." He raised his eyebrows. "I remain immune, happy to say. Drink?" He held up the green bottle.

  "No. Think I learned my lesson on that." I sat down. "Got any idea on what's causing this?" Spike looked away while nodding.

  "Oh. So that's all. You've just come to pump me for information." He turned back to me while lowering the drink to his side.

  "What else would I want to pump you for?" I asked, then realized how that came out. "I really just said that, didn't I?"

  "Yeah, well," Spike sighed while putting the alcohol down. "don't want to bore you with the small talk." He walked to the door and held it open while looking at me. "Don't know a thing."

  "Something wrong? You're all bad moody." I questioned while narrowing my eyes, and he shrugged one shoulder.

  "It's nothing. Glad you could stop by." The vampire gestured at the door, and I gave him a look. "It's nothing." He furrowed his brows while insisting.

  "Spike, what is it?" Raising my eyebrows at him, I knew something was up. My gut told me so, and after living with him for a short while, I knew a thing or two about his behavior.

  "~I died....~" The blond gave a confused look for a second before looking so 'done'. "~So many years ago, but you can make me feel like it isn't so.~" Rolling my eyes as I glanced away, I shifted in my seat. 'He doesn't have a bad voice....' I thought. "~And why you come to be with me, I think I finally know. Mm-hmm.~" He closed the crypt door, and I looked back at him. "~You're scared, ashamed of what you feel. And you can't tell the ones you love, you know they couldn't deal.~" Spike began to walk toward me. "~A whisper in a dead man's ear- it doesn't make it real.~" He put two fingers to his head, and I looked away again.

  "~That's great. But I don't wanna play,~" The vampire walked past me and turned back when he stood near the concrete tomb. "~'cause being with you touches me, more than I can say. And since I'm only dead to you, I'm saying stay away~.~" He hopped up on the coffin and laid down in a crucified position. "~And let me rest in peace. Let me rest in peace!~" He hopped back up while looking at me. "~Let me get some sleep! Let me take my love and bury it in a hole six-foot deep!~" Spike grabbed the green bottle of booze and tossed it at the wall. Rising to my feet, the glass shattered and fell to the ground.

  "~I can lay my body down, but I can't find my sweet rele~ase.~" The vampire stepped toward me as I stepped back. "~So let me rest in peace.~" He turned away, and I went for the door. "~You know....~" Spike stopped me. "~you got a willin' slave.~" The blond man went to his knees in front of me. "~And you just love to play the thought that you might misbehave.~" He looked down my body, and I rolled my eyes. "~But till you do, I'm tellin' you- stop visiting my gra~ave!~" He stood back up. "~And let me rest in peace!~" Spike swung open the crypt door, and the next thing I knew, we were out in the graveyard.