Ch.56: Oh, bet you wanna ride the new wave, yeah

"I'm sure we can work something out." A man said as he and a woman were cowering in an alley.

  "A deal of some sort. Anything you want." The woman added.

  "I always wanted a pony, but equines seem to be terrified of me." I piped up while stepping behind the two shadowy figures closing in on the couple. They all turned to look at me, and I hit the sarcasm. "Oh. You weren't speaking to me, were you? My bad. Well, as long as I'm here...." I trailed off while kicking one of the men.

  "Ow! Lady!" The two cowered while backing off.

  "Wow. A mugging." With plain surprise in my voice, I noticed the attackers were human. "Haven't gotten one of those before." I said while thinking back to all the times I had saved people in an alley. "Usually it's blood, and with the horror.... Just a good old-fashioned mugging." Looking at the two men, I was certainly taken back. "Kinda sweet, actually." I added while picking up the woman's purse. "Oh, well, not for you most likely." Smiling as I handed the woman her bag, I gave her some advice. "Here. Go. Now."

  The couple ran off while the two muggers attacked me. Fending them off was easy since they were human and all, so I didn't even have to let any of my demonic traits show. Twisting one man's arm behind his back, I kicked the other.

  "Not too sweet for you either, huh? Well, come on. Rush me. It'll be funny." I said as the other guy got to his feet. Then, there was a yell as Spike came crashing in and punched the human. "Don't! A~and I'm too late." I sighed. "Gonna have one Hell of a headache." Mumbling, I pushed the human I was holding as boxes came tumbling down on the vampire.

  "Ow!" Spike held his head as he sat up.

  "What the Hell are you doing?" I asked while putting my hands on my hips.

  "I thought they were demons." He groaned while getting to his feet.

  "Way to go with the keen observy-ness, Jessica Fletcher."

  "Remind me not to help you."

  "More often?" I asked. "Jeez, I'm going to have to get a planner."

  "Hey, a little sympathy for the man with the migraine here, can we?"

  "Well," I crossed my arms. "that's what you get for attacking a human, chiphead."

  "Yeah." Spike lowered his hand while shifting on his feet. "You'd think if the government was gonna put a chip in my head, they'd at least make it so I could attack criminals and that sort." He pointed at his head.

  "Oh, yeah. 'Cause muggers deserve to be eaten." The vampire gave me a look. "You'll just have to get your rocks off fightin' demons."

  "There are other ways." He smirked at me.

  "And to that, an extreme 'see ya later.'" Turning as I gave a two-fingered salute, I began to leave.

  "Aud."

  "Spike, it's late, okay? Buffy's probably wondering where I went off to. Can we just finish this another time?" I sighed while turning back around.

  "Oh, so you wanna jump right to the kissin', then, eh?" The blond asked while walking toward me.

  "I am not kissing you, Spike. Once was-

  "Twice." He corrected.

  "Actually, it was thrice if you count the Glory incident, but not again." I waved a hand.

  "You're a tease, you know that, short stack?" He said as I walked away. "Get a fella's motor revvin', let the tension marinate a couple of days, then BAM!- crown yourself the ice queen."