Ch.84: Please turn on your magic beam

"Are you sure you all will be all right?" Pops fixed his glasses on his face as he walked into the living room.

  "You'll only be gone for two days, Pops." I raised my brows at him.

  "I think we've managed a bit longer than that." Buffy popped off from the couch.

  "Right." The man sighed. "Oh, Dawn, Vi's left her notebook on the mantle. Would you mind running it out to her in the car?"

  "Sure."

  "And while you're at it, could you smack her in the head with it to remind her to not leave it lying around?"

  "On it." Dawn nodded while leaving, having the notebook in her hands while Pops sat on the edge of the coffee table.

  "Uh, I, um, I'm just a bit twitchy about leaving you both alone again here while-while....in such a state of flux." Giles took off his glasses while scratching his forehead.

  "I know." Buffy nodded. "But you should go. This trip is important for the girls to understand the source of their power."

  "More Simbas need you, Rafiki." I popped off, earning a look from the older man.

  "But do they appreciate the gravity of what we're undertaking? I'm finding this difficult.... Then someone told them that the vision quest consists of me driving them into the desert, doing the Hokey Pokey until a spooky, Rasta-mama Slayer arrives and speaks to them in riddles." Pops pointedly looked at Buffy as she tried to look innocent.

  "That's not exactly how I put it. Hey! How's Kennedy?" Buffy turned to Willow as she came down the stairs.

  "Still Flu-y. Bummed about missing the field trip. She said she wants you to meditate extra hard for her and bring her back some s'mores." Willow smiled.

  "Ah, yes, s'mores." Pops put his glasses back on while standing. "I'm going to end up singing campfire songs, aren't I?"

  "Oh, yeah." Buffy grinned.

  "Giles, you might wanna get out there." Xander pointed over his shoulder as he quickly walked in from outside.

  "Oh, God, what?"

  "Molly and Rona are fighting over who gets to drive the first leg." Dawn added while following Xander.

  "Bet you wish you'd renewed that California state driver's license now, huh?" Buffy gave Giles a look.

  "Rona won. You should probably let Molly out of the trunk." Anya popped off as she walked by, and I heard a car horn outside.

  "Please be safe while I'm away." Pops made a face.

  "You, too." I told him as he left. "That poor, old bugger." I sighed after the front door closed.

  "If he's anything like Rafiki, he'll be fine....mostly." Buffy took a sip from her tea, her voice still a little raspy from being sick. She was getting better, though, and I chuckled while leaving the living room.

  Going down to the basement, I saw Spike just sitting on the cot with his back leaned against the concrete wall.

  "Hey."

  "Hey."

  "Giles and the girls are gone now. Just left."

  "Give us all a chance for a breather, eh?"

  "From Giles?" I raised a brow.

  "From the constant pitter-patter of clomping, teenage girlie feet." He gave me a look.