Ch.14: Do it my way

At the coffee shop, we walked in while Pops was singing and playing his guitar to Behind Blue Eyes. Looking at the others, they seemed shocked, confused, and in disbelief.

  "Oh." Anya had her arms crossed.

  "Wow." Willow's jaw was hanging open.

  "Um, could we go back to the haunted house?" Xander asked. "Because this is creeping me out." I furrowed my brows at them.

  "Does he do this a lot?" Tara asked.

  "Sure. Every day the Earth rotates backward and the skies turn orange."

  "You guys didn't know he does this?" I questioned, and they all shook their heads.

  "~....as empty as my conscience seems to be.~" Pops sang while finally noticing us standing there. I gave a small wave. "~I have hours, only lonely....~"

  "Now I remember why I used to have such a crush on him." Willow smiled, and I raised a brow.

  "Well, he is pretty good." Tara nodded.

  "His voice is....pleasant." Anya agreed.

  "What?" Xander looked around.

  "Oh, come on. It is kinda sexy."

  "Ew, Will. Don't wanna hear that about my dad." I cringed. She shrugged while giving an apologetic look.

  "I'm fighting total mental breakdown here, Will. No more fuel on the fire, please." Xander said. Putting my hands into my pockets, I raised my shoulders.

  "You know, he used to sing me to sleep all the time. Or whenever he cooked, and when we had nothing else to do, he'd pull out his guitar."

  "Not helping, Aud."

~

  "When you called to Buffy and Riley, they didn't cry out or respond in any way?" Pops asked as we were all seated around a table. We were in a public library, and the table was piled up with books for research.

  "No. They're probably dead." Anya said bluntly.

  "Unless they're too busy doin' it to answer." Xander waved a hand.

  "Doing what?" Pops asked as sat down.

  "You know, for a god of acoustic rock, you're....kind of naive."

  "I didn't think you meant-" Giles rolled his eyes. "In the midst of all that, do you really think they were keeping it up?" There was a silent pause as we looked at Pops. "Oh, for different phrasing."

  "You see, that's the thing." Willow leaned forward a bit. "People all over the party were starting to act....weird....sexually."

  "In what way?"

  "You know." Willow turned the page in her books. "Ways." 'Yeah, one guy even hit on me.' I slightly cringed at the memory.

  "Well, it could be some form of, uh, succubi or a satyr's prank. Could even be energy coming from the lab beneath Lowell Fraternity." Pops shifted in his seat.

  "It wasn't always a fraternity. Look." Willow showed her book full of newspaper clippings. "'Between 1949 and 1960,'" Willow read. "'the Lowell Home for Children housed upwards of 40 adolescents: runaways, juvenile delinquents, and emotionally disturbed teenagers from the Sunnydale area.'"