Ch. 15: Keep your eyes on me

"Zippo." Buffy stated as she sat on the table and continued to speak. "Patrol's been totally uneventful. My kill count's way down." The entire Scooby gang was present, and it looked as if Tara was becoming a new member as well.

  "She means there be less bad-guy activity." Willow explained to Tara.

  "We know what that often indicates." Pops said from the kitchen as he ate.

  "Buffy doesn't make her quota....bad Slayer."

  "Well, I wish it were that innocuous. But with Adam around, I-I feel he's involved somehow."

  "When things get slow, it's usually because-"

  "Apocalypse or oncoming major doom." I crossed my arms while leaning on the bar next to Tara. The woman nodded at me in understanding.

  "Except, the weird thing is," Riley raised his hand in a gesture as he spoke. "we've been busy at the Initiative. Our squads are pulling a lot more captures. We've got demons coming out of our ears."

  "That's a metaphor." Willow told Tara so she wouldn't take it literally.

  "I got it, thanks." The other woman smiled.

  "I'm over helping, aren't I?"

  "So, the activities have shifted, but not stopped." Pops walked in with a bowl of pretzels. I grabbed a handful as he offered some to us.

  "To an extremely bored person, maybe." Anya looked at Giles. "Well, that was a thrilling hour." She stood up from Xander's lap, and then everyone began to stand up.

  "You know, I don't really appreciate your snide remarks, Anya." Pops put his hands on his hips while standing in front of the ex-demon. "Now, I have a great deal of experience in these matters, and if I say there is a matter of some import brewing, I-I...." He cut off as everyone turned to look at the man standing in the doorway.

  "Hey." He simply said with his hands in his jacket pockets.

  Baring my fangs, I growled deeply at the stranger while standing up off the barstool. Pops raised a hand at me, silently telling me to stop. Looking at his face, and everyone else's expressions- except for Riley and Tara's- they seemed to know the guy. So, I stopped growling, and just crossed my arms while staring at the werewolf with a studious gaze as he was doing the same to me.

  "Wh-When did you get back?" Willow asked.

  "Pretty much now." He nodded while giving her his attention. He was short with short red hair, and the atmosphere was odd as he took a step forward.

  "Oz, man." Xander stepped out to him. "Hate to sound grandma, but....you don't call. You don't write." He held out a hand.

  "Yeah. Sorry." The man said while shaking Xander's hand.

  "So, are you here here, or are you just passing through?" Buffy asked.

  "Well, um, let's not bombard the poor chap with questions right off." Pops took off his glasses. "Uh, can I get you something? Tea, perhaps?" Pops walked toward the kitchen.

  "I'll pass. Thanks." He replied, and Pops stopped. "Look," He approached Willow, and Anya stepped away. "I'm going to Devon's to see if he's got a place I can crash, but I was hoping that we could talk. Later. Tonight."

  "I-I guess so." Willow replied. 'Man, it's so quiet.'

  "I'll come by your place?" He asked.

  "Okay."

  "It's great to see you guys again. Really." He said while backing up before leaving.

  "Everyone's uncomfortable now." Anya stated.