Ch.24: Coming over you

"Hey, guys!" I said while walking out of the training room in the Magic Box to see Buffy, Willow, Dawn, and Riley were all in the shop now. "What did I miss while the old man made me clean up weapons?" I gave a pointed look at Pops.

  "Glowing balls of paranormal origin." Willow pointed at the yellow ball in Pops's hands.

  "Huh...."

  "You can't patrol. Buffy said." Dawn looked at the guys as I walked over to get a closer look at the shiny sphere.

  "No. I didn't." Buffy shook her head.

  "Yeah, remember? You said it'd be easier if you didn't have to look out for anybody."

  "Well, I wasn't talking about Riley." Buffy smiled nervously.

  "Don't worry about it." The ex-commando waved a hand while smiling.

  "Oh, she just said you look even cuter when you're all weak and kitten-y, and she'd better go solo or you'd get hurt." Dawn kept going. "So, welcome to the club. She'll never let me go either." There was a silent pause from everyone as we sort of just looked around at each other. "What? What?"

  "Giles, you got the danger room set up out back?" Riley asked Pops. "I'm feelin' the need for a little physical rehab about now." He rubbed his hands together and began to walk to the back when Pops nodded.

  "Of course. Yes. If any customers do-"

  "On it." Willow nodded while taking the glowing ball from Giles before he followed Riley.

  "Dawn, we're going." Buffy stood up.

  "Buffy, wait." Willow got the blonde's attention. "Go easy on her."

  "Why?"

  "I can't help it. I just have all this involuntary empathy for Dawn 'cause she's, you know, a big spaz."

  "Here, I'll put this somewhere safe and out of the way." I said while taking the yellow sphere from Willow, and I walked away before I would be awkwardly standing in the background again. After putting it away, I told Pops where I had set it, then went out to restock the food at home. Once I had done that, I decided to make dinner for when Pops got home from the Magic Box. Only....when the time came for him to be home, he wasn't. Instead, I got a call.

  "Aud, I'm sorry, but, uh, I need your help."

  "What is it?" I shot off the couch, already slipping into my shoes when Pops said 'need'.

  "The magic shop, i-it's extremely busy, and I don't have enough hands." I then noticed the chaos of noise in the background was actually people talking and a cash register ringing.

  "I'm on my way over." I said while smiling as I walked outside. "Be there in a few." Pops thanked me and hung up. Putting my phone into my pocket, I slipped my jacket on. Suddenly, I caught the scent of cigarette smoke. "Spike." I growled while dragging him out from behind a brick column on the porch.

  "Hi, Aud." He replied casually while putting out his cancer stick.

  "What the Hell are you doing here?" I said before punching him in the face. "That was for trying to bite me, by the way."

  "Ow!" Spike checked to see if his nose was bleeding before he opened his mouth. "Look-"

  "Five words or less, I'm in a hurry." Crossing my arms, I put more weight on one of my feet.

  "Out...." He raised his pinkie. "For...." His ring finger went up. "A...." The middle finger followed. "Walk...." Then the pointer finger as he counted his words. Spike raised his hand again with his thumb and pinkie up. "Bitch."