Ch.10: Sweet sensations

"So, here it is. The latest in the state-of-the-art combat technology." Xander said as he took apart an Initiative weapon. He was trying to fix it while attempting to figure out how it worked. "I gotta say, it doesn't look that complicated."

  "So can you repair it?" Buffy questioned.

  "Sure. Just as soon as I get my master's degree in advanced starship technology."

  "Well, why don't we experiment?" Willow asked. Pops and I were sitting down, folding a basket of laundry. "Press some buttons, see what happens."

  "Well, I'd like to veto that." Pops said while folding a pair of boxers.

  "Seconded." Xander raised a hand. "It's called a Blaster, Will. A word that tends to discourage experimentation. Now, if it were called the Orgasminator, I'd be the first to try your basic button-pressing approach."

  "Just tell me, can you repair it or not?"

  "I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' in it." Pulling a shirt from the basket, I folded it. For the past few days, Buffy had been patrolling almost non-stop. I would go with her to help look for Adam, but she was getting tired. Unlike me, even though she was the Slayer, she was still human. While Willow and Giles were talking with Buffy, Xander ended up shocking himself while working on the Blaster.

  That night, Willow and Xander joined Buffy and I on patrol. It didn't take long for us to find a sign of Adam since he always left the bodies strung up like displayed dissections, only this time it was a red-skinned demon with curled horns and reptilian feet. We could tell the body was fresh because there was steam still coming out from the gaping, empty hole in its torso.

  After Riley showed up, we had all gone to Pops's place. We discussed the major problem that is Adam, and Riley got the Blaster in working condition in just a couple of seconds. Everyone was coming up with ideas on ways to defeat Adam but most of them weren't very good.

  Pops hopped up when the phone began to ring, and I went to the kitchen for some food. I grabbed the bread, peanut butter, jelly, and two knives. Placing the materials onto the counter, I set to work on making my sandwiches. But not even a moment into making them, I paused and looked up when I heard Buffy's tone change.

  "It's Faith." Buffy paused. "She's awake." She turned around while looking at everyone. "She beat someone up, took her clothing, and disappeared out of the hospital. No one knows where she is."

  "I'd say this qualifies for a 'Worst Timing Ever' award." Xander sighed.

  "What do we do?" Willow asked.

  "Well, we have to find her." Pops leaned on the bar.

  "But what about Adam?"

  "I'd hate to see the pursuit of a homicidal lunatic get in the way of pursuing a homicidal lunatic."

  "Well, Faith's not exactly a low-profile girl. I'll patrol, then wait for her to make a move." Buffy said.

  "Then what?"

  "Oh, I have an idea!" Willow piped up. 'Why does the name Faith sound familiar....?' I thought with furrowed brows while going back to my sandwiches. "Beat the crap out of her." The witch smiled.

  "Good plan."

  "Good on paper, but we still have a decision to make. Do we hand her over to the cops? I mean, they wouldn't know what to do with a Slayer, even if they knew we existed." Buffy looked around. 'Oh, yeah! Faith!' It dawned on me. 'Oh, yeah. Faith.' Mentally growling, I remembered all I had heard about Faith.

  "What about the Council?"

  "Been there, tried that. Not unlike smothering a forest fire with napalm, as I recall." Xander said.

  "The Initiative. They do have, uh, containment facilities." Pops suggested.

  "One word- Evil." Xander shot his idea down.

  "There's no way around it. Faith is back, and whether I like it or not....she's my responsibility." Buffy looked around, and I put one of my sandwiches together before starting on another one.

  "Yeah, too bad." Willow sighed. "That was the funnest coma ever." Xander nodded his head in agreement.

  "We have no idea where she is. We don't know what she's thinking, what she's feeling."

  "Who she's doing." Xander added.

  "She could be terrified." Buffy continued. "Maybe she doesn't even remember. Or-Or maybe she does an-and she's sorry and she's alone, hiding somewhere.

  "Um, perhaps there's some form of, uh, rehabilitation we just haven't thought about." Pops said before taking a sip of his tea.

  "And if not, ass-kicking makes a solid plan 'B'."

  "I'm not gonna rule it out. First thing- we need to find her. Then we can take it from there." Buffy finished talking and there was a silent pause.

  "Who's Faith?" Riley asked.