Chapter 5

"I've returned, as promised," I said as I walk up to Sandy the next day. She looks up at me from her book surprise mingling with relief in her brown eyes. I note that she begins shewing on her lip to try and keep from smiling. It's futile and a moment later a beautiful smile lights up her face. It pulls one from me that only grows as her eyes zero in on the thing in my arms.

"Is that...a board game?" She questioned and I nod.

"You bet it is, sweet cheeks." The pink blush from yesterday comes back and it feels like I've won another small victory.

"Are you sure you haven't just been blindsided by falling so hard?"

Mikey's question echoes through my thoughts and I push his voice deep, deep down. The last thing I want to do is deal with him or anything he has to say. It's thanks to him I did nothing but toss and turn in bed last night.

I just want to help her.

"So, you wanna play?"

"She doesn't want your help. Just look at her, not her disability."

I watch as she looks between me, the board game, and her book before finally deciding to close the book.

"What board game is it?" Sandy asked before growing silent as I walk into the sun and set the game down in the grass.

"A game I'm sure you'll enjoy," I turn and walk back towards her. As soon as I'm close enough I bend and have to hold back my laughter at how wide and curious those brown eyes are.

"What are you-" She squeals as I pick her up princess style, her slender arms wrapping around my neck for dear life and just about squeezing all of mine out. "Chris! What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Her breath runs hot and quick over my skin as she buries her face in my neck. It becomes even harder to breathe and I choke and chuckle as best I can, enjoying her overreaction at being picked up.

"Can't-can't breathe. Loosen your hold, Sandy." For a long while, she doesn't listen to me and we just stand there, neither of us saying anything. I stay as still as possible so as not to spook her, it's the last thing I want to do right now. Ever so slowly, her hold seems to loosen and her breathing returns to normal.

She's trusting me.

"Don't worry," I start and stand as still as possible, watching as she pulls her face from my neck. "I won't drop you. I figured that sitting in the sun would be a nice change of pace."

She nods at that, her eyes looking down at the ground which must seem a million miles away now. Her eyes move from the ground and clash with mine and I smile down at her, enjoying the feel of her in my arms.

Wait, what?

"So, how's the view up here?" I asked, pushing the thought to the back of my mind. Sandy looks away from me and towards the board game sitting in the grass.

"It's not all that great. Nothing fancy."

I can tell that she's lying and chuckle as I walk us over to the game. Her arms tighten and she only relaxes once I set her down on the grass.

"Monopoly. Really? You couldn't think of a better game?"

"What? Monopoly is a good game." I defend because this game is good. It's better than good and for a moment I fear that maybe she won't want to play. So, I do the only thing to assure that she will. I smile and cross my arms over my chest as I say, "I get it."

Her brows furrow giving her that adorable look.

"You're just scared of being completely crushed by me."