Chapter 1

"Kim!"

I stop walking down the hallway when I hear someone shout my name over the noise of students hurrying to get to their next class. My eyes zero in on a hand waving around frantically before they move to the face that hand belongs to. A smile turns up the corners of my mouth.

"Charlie!" I called as I tuck some red strands of hair behind my ear. "Shouldn't you be prepping things for the upcoming fundraisers the student council is holding soon?" I asked once she's close enough that I don't have to shout. Charlie smiles and shakes her head her eyes twinkling with excitement as she says,

"Nope, it's already done."

My eyebrows shoot up at that. I hadn't expected her to get all of the work done in such a short amount of time. It had seemed almost impossible to complete at all there had been so much work.

I guess that's why there's more than just one person on the council.

"So, what're you going to do with your abundance of free time?" My kind smile turns sly as I look towards my childhood friend. "See more of Caleb?"

Charlie turns a bright red and I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous she looks. Even though she and Caleb have been dating for about four years now, she still acts as if they've only just started going out.

"Well, yeah, but I'm also going to hang out with you. We haven't had a movie night in forever. So, how about tomorrow night? It's Friday so it should be cool with your parents."

I think on the matter as we walk together towards my class, the smile I'd had falling to a frown. My parents don't generally have a problem with me having friends over. Lately, though, things have been a bit strained.

They've been fighting over the simplest of things the past few weeks.

I glance to Charlier and my smile comes back just an inch. She's been with me ever since we were kids, so I doubt something like my parents bickering a little will get to her. Plus, I doubt they'd start arguing in front of other people.

"A movie night sounds great!"

"Ohhhh, a movie night. What pajamas should I bring? I want to make sure it matches my eyeshadow when we start makeovers."

Charlie and I look towards our third partner in crime. The guy who's also been with the both of us through thick and thin since we were kids getting into trouble in primary school. Keith smiles down at the both of us, mischief twinkling in his almond colored eyes. A grin I've come to know and love spreads across his face and I can feel my cheeks heating up at how close he his.

"Sorry, you don't get an invitation. Girls only." I stated as I look forward and continue walking. I hear Charlie chuckle beside me. Keith keeps up with us easy enough with his long strides never once falling even a step behind me.

"Hey! Don't exclude me just because of that. Maybe I want to play dress up too."

I raise an eyebrow and glance towards him.

"First off, we don't play dress up."

Keith's smile widens and it's contagious because I find myself smiling right along with him.

"Second, none of our clothes would fit you. Also, I doubt that they would look that great on you even if they did." I snicker as he slaps a hand over his heart as if I'd just wounded him. His Casanova smile tells me otherwise.

"That's harsh, Kim. Harsh. Did you ever think that I just want to look pretty? Hmm? No, I guess you wouldn't have."

"You're being way too dramatic, dude." Charlie laughed and Keith seems pleased to have gotten something out of at least one of us. His eyes move back to mine and that smile turns into the devils as he leans down and whispers,

"Even if I wouldn't look good in your clothes I know you'd look amazing in mine."

I stop walking altogether and my face explodes into flames as I blush like a madwoman. Keith and Charlie both freeze up before bursting into laughter from my reaction. It only makes me turn even redder.

"Oh god, she-she l-looks like a-a lobster." Charlie stuttered, barely able to get out a sentence as she hunches over, arms crossed over her stomach.

"I didn't think she'd get that embarrassed! Holy crap, I'm dying."

I glare at my two best friends, annoyance and embarrassment coursing through my veins. People walk around us, most if not all of them looking over in curiosity. It doesn't make me feel any better.

"Shut up, it's not that funny. Why did you have to say that Keith? Geez. Stop messing around with me, it's not funny!"

Keith looks to me, tears in his eyes from laughing so hard.

"I'm laughing, aren't I?"

The heat within me doubles, this time from anger and I rush off ahead of them as the bell rings for my next class. I bring my hand up and pull on my ear where his breath had brushed across the sensitive skin.

His voice was so close.

I squeeze my eyes shut, trying unsuccessfully to get rid of the memory. His voice runs through my mind once more and continues to repeat.

'You'd look amazing in mine.'

A chill runs up my spine and I shudder as I sigh in defeat.

"I should just forget about it. Things'll never work out."