Chapter 6

Claud avoids me as much as possible the next day, much to Jacob's amusement and my own annoyance. It ticks me off that, every time I try to get close, she uses her friends as some type of shield to ward me off. Usually, it wouldn't hinder me, but one of those friends is Kaley and the last thing I want to do is get involved with her considering she's still hurt about our break up. Not to mention her guard dog glares daggers at me everytime I get close.

Great.

Bitterness fills my body at my inability to get close to the girl I've got a thing for. I kick a random locker in the deserted hall. Everyone's in class right now, and art is my least favorite course, meaning I've got free reign of the school for the next hour.

Movement at the end of the hall catches my attention and I hurry down it only to have a smile curling my lips as I watch my light rush towards the bathroom. I catch her right before she has a chance to walk through the door, grabbing her wrist and tugging her to a stop.

She spins around on her heel, eyes wide in shock until they meet mine. I just continue to smile down at her as she registers just who I am. Her eyes narrow and she pulls her wrist from my hand.

"Well, I never expected you to corner me on my way to the bathroom." Annoyance seeps into her voice and I raise an eyebrow as I cross my arms over my chest.

"That was your second mistake."

Though, it hadn't been my plan to do this.

"Oh? What was my first?" She asked as she mimics my stance. My smile comes back and I catch the dusting of pink starting across her cheeks.

"Not kissing me."

She rolls her eyes, like she's already over this topic, though I can see the events of last night replaying in those beautiful browns as her light blush becomes a dark crimson. A moment later those eyes zero in on a singular spot on my face. Before I can do or say anything her hand is coming up and I feel her thumb run over my cheek. Goosebumps rise over my skin and I feel my body shudder. Little sparks of electricity play tag up and down my spine and it's the best damn feeling in the world. My entire body freezes up, scared that if I move I'll lose this moment. She pulls away a second later and looks down at her finger.

"Oil?" Claud questioned as she looks from her finger to me. Ever so slowly that smile that I've come to crave turns up the corners of her mouth. My heart stutters in my chest. "Let me guess, playing in that garage of yours with a new car?"

I can feel my eyes widen as I scramble for words to speak. I didn't think she'd know anything about me.

"How-"

"It's a well-known fact that you like cars, Noah. Plus, you fixed mine a while back."

She remembers.

My chest tightens and the last part of her sentence is lost to me. I'm too caught up in the fact that she remembers. Claud, the girl I'm after, my light remembers that day. She gets a shy look as she tucks some strands of hair behind her ear and I want nothing more than to wrap her small frame in a hug. I want to pull her close to me and never let go. Without thinking I find myself taking a step closer only to have her take a cautious step back, the shy look leaving her face.

"What do you want, Noah?"

What do I want?

My lips upturn.

You.

"I want what was taken from me last night. My kiss."

Claud stands taller and she smiles right back at me. Not the kind and genuine one that reminds me of light. No, this one is playful and sardonic at the same time. It reminds me of a queen looking down on her people.

"Dude," She starts. "I wouldn't kiss you if we were the last two people on Earth. Now, get lost because I do have to go to the bathroom." Judging by the way she starts to turn and the final note in her voice she's ending the conversation. My heart picks up its pace and it feels like I'll lose my chance of ever getting her if I let her walk away now.

"Sometimes, you've got to make the right time."

What my dad said last night passes through my mind and, without thinking, I latch onto her small and slender wrist. She looks back at me with those large, brown eyes filled with surprise.

"Sorry, can't let you do that. We've already got other plans."

She raises a curious eyebrow and I'd give anything to kiss that brow.

I'd give anything to kiss her.

"Care to enlighten me?"

I shove my thoughts and wants deep down before bending close to her face. That pink comes to life once more and I smile like the Cheshire I know I am as I say,

"We're going on a date."