Chapter 2

"I can't believe I let you talk me into this," I said as I look out the windshield of Jacob's truck to the party going on outside. We're in a field that's been adopted for this little party tonight. I remember hearing about it over the last week how people at school were planning it.

Like Jacob, I'd been interested in going, but then that client came in with the Mustang and any thoughts of a party had been wiped from my mind. Now that I'm here, I wish I could go back to my tiny garage with the beauty waiting to be fixed.

"You talked yourself into it after hearing that your latest conquest would be here."

I flip Jacob off as I climb out of the truck, eager to either get the night over with or find my light, whichever comes first. Jacob cackles as he gets out of his truck, locking the doors as we walk off. I'm not sure it would do a lot of good if someone wants in bad enough. The thing barely holds together after being kicked. I can't count how many times I've fixed it for him.

"Hey, Noah."

I look over to where my name had been called from and smile when my eyes clash with Tiffany, a girl I used to have a thing with. She's sitting in the bed of a truck, leaning her weight back on her arms giving any and everyone who passes by a rather nice view. Her lips curl up into a smile when she catches my eyes roaming.

"I'm not surprised to see you here. If you need a girl on your arm, I'd be more than happy to oblige." A sultry look slips over her features and I know what it means. I'm sure anyone at this part with a brain can guess what that look means.

I raise an eyebrow which must seem like I'm considering her offer by the way her smile grows. My lights face and her smile come to mind, pulling me from this girls offer. I smile and Tiffany jumps from the bed of the truck. Her arms are just about to hook with mine when I pull away.

"Sorry Tif, but we both know how things ended. I'd rather not go through that again. Plus," I sniff and my nose crinkles. "You wear way too much perfume for me." I untangle myself from Tiffany before shoving my hands in my pockets and walking ahead, Jacob scrambling to following after me.

"Dude, you're so harsh sometimes."

I shrug as my eyes scour the crowd around us looking for one thing. The beacon in the darkness.

"Sometimes, you've gotta be or else they won't get it."

Jacob just sighs beside me.

"Once you've got your eyes set on one girl you never look at any other."

"Is that so wrong?"

"No," He starts before leading us a certain direction down a path only his eyes can see. "It's pretty admirable, but it'd be even better if you didn't toss them aside like yesterdays leftovers the moment you're done with them. I feel a little bad for Claud that she's in your sights now."

My stomach turns at that and I can feel my anger spark to life. It's not that my best friend is wrong. He's one hundred percent right. I'll set my eyes on a girl and, as soon as I get her and see that she's not all I thought she was, I'll drop her. I mean, why give her the hope for more when I don't feel anything for her anymore.

"At least I don't sleep with them," I muttered.

"Well, there's that. It'd certainly make things a lot worse. I don't think we'd be friends anymore if you'd have slept with Kaley when she was head over heels for you."

I sigh and scratch the back of my head, getting tired of this conversation.

"I thought you said you were over that. Seriously, dude, it meant nothing at all. We broke up after two days."

"That doesn't make me feel any better!" Jacob whined like a two-year-old and I just snort amused by my friend.

"You should just give up on her, dude. There's no way Kyle will let you with her. I'm surprised that Chris lasted as long as he did." I shudder at the mere thought of having Kyle's wrath faced towards me again. It wasn't pretty after I dumped Kaley's ass. "I'm lucky I got off with a black eye. The only reason Chris hasn't been touched is thanks to the fact he's on the basketball team and he has Mikey at his back."

Jacob just rolls his eyes and says,

"You're such a wuss. Kaley and Kyle aren't even talking anymore. You dated her back before she even started dating Chris when she and Kyle were still friends."

I raise an eyebrow as I remember how I'm always spotting Kyle looking at Kaley. He'll get a ticked off face when guys talk to her and he'll look sad whenever she's laughing and smiling with her friends, a longing in his eyes to be back by her side.

"You're more of an idiot than I first thought if you seriously think there's nothing going on between them. Just give up, you don't stand a chance."

"What happened to being my friend? What happened to being on my side?"

I glance over at Jacob and smile.

"I am your friend. The last thing I want is for you to try and get with that chick only to come over to my house with a black eye and a broken arm. She's not worth it."

Jacob looks forward a frown on his face, now.

"She is worth it, that's the thing. I guess you wouldn't know, Noah, since you've never actually fallen for anyone before." He takes a few long strides after that, walking ahead of me rather than beside me. My mood falls a few notches at his cold shoulder. I look down at the ground and kick a stray rock.

Geez, what's his deal?