Chapter 1

"But, I don't understand why I have to go," I said for the umpteenth time to my best friend.

We're sitting in the bathroom connected to my room. We've been in here for just a little over two hours now and my ass is seriously starting to hurt from sitting on the porcelain toilet bowl lid. Kaley has, however, been standing in front of my mirror the entire time as she applies her professional looking make up.

"You have to go because I'm going. The only people who aren't going are nobodies or people like Chris who've become nobodies."

I cringe at the cold note her voice takes on at the end. Chris is a touchy topic for Kaley since he's her most recent ex. I sigh and lean back on my painful seat, crossing my arms over my chest. The last thing I want to do is go to a party tonight, but I'm also pretty sure that Kaley won't let up until I say I'm going.

I've no doubt in my mind that she would drag me there.

My dark brown eyes look over only to clash with her replica ones. One of the reasons Kaley and I became so close is because we almost look like identical sisters. The only difference in our appearances being that she has dyed blonde tips at the bottom of her hair. She flips pristine curled locks over her shoulder and rests a hand on her hip.

Uh-oh. I know that look.

It means things are about to get real.

Kaley points her mascara at me like it's a sword and I react just as if it were, scooting back on my toilet seat and raising my hands.

"Listen here little miss I don't want to go. You're going. End of story." She breathes out a sigh of relief, no doubt happy to finally get that out of the way, and goes back to looking in the mirror.

"I'm not even ready for a party. I mean, I look like I'm homeless." I all but whined, referring to my black baggy sweatpants, long-sleeved grey shirt, and the messy bun of brown locks sitting on my make-up-less head. Kaley doesn't even look at me as she says,

"Well then, I guess you better go get ready, Claudette."

I wrinkle my nose at my full name. It sounds so old and formal and the complete opposite of who I am. She knows I hate being called by it and her lips curl up in a sadistic and pleased smile at my reaction. This is the part of Kaley that I love and hate. She knows exactly how to manipulate people as if we're all puppets on strings.

"Fine," I muttered as I stand up from my little perch and rush out of the bathroom. As I go, Kaley calls out to me.

"I knew you'd come around!"