Chapter 20

Rae's POV

I wake up and see that Demi is in the shower so I quickly get dressed for school and go to the kitchen. I start cooking some breakfast for us. I have my earbuds in so I don't hear Demi walk up but I feel her wrap her arms around me. She kisses my cheek before walking over to the table picking up her papers and stuff she needs for school. 

"Hey, baby." Demi calls making me look over. "The trip next week would it be okay if we share a room or do you wanna share with one of your friends?"

"Are you assigning rooms?" I ask curiously not answering the question.

"No, but the teacher who is, knows that I know you outside of school and wants to know if I'd be okay with it because one way or another I will have to have a student with me. I, of course, would love to share with you but I know you have your friends and stuff." She says casually. 

I set the food down and then sit down across from her. 

"Would it be suspicious that we are sharing a room?" I ask.

"No, because it's like when student get paired with their parent who is chaperoning the trip." She says starting to eat.

"I would love to share with you then." I say quickly eating so we can leave. "The trip is the week after next, right?" I ask and she nods.

We eat the rest of our breakfast in silence and then we walk out to the car in silence like every morning like a routine. When we get to the school I follow her to her office and we get there just as the bell rings signaling to go to class. Instead of kissing her goodbye I just yell by and run of to class.

After 5 classes of being half asleep and struggling to care it's finally lunch time. I sit down without getting lunch because I forgot to get it from Demi. 

"Rae, why don't you have food?" Danny one of the only friends I have had since elementary school even when everything happened, he is also the only person at school that knows about my parents. 

"I forgot to ask Demi for money when we got here this morning. I will just eat when I get home." I say and he nods just as everyone else walks up and sits down. 

We had a fun, joke-filled lunch but it had to end so now, we are walking out of the cafeteria as a group, as we do we pass Demi who is walking back toward the gym after being in the office I assume. I make eye contact with her and smile, she smiles back before walking past us.

I go the next class alone because since the fight with that girl I have sat alone in Anatomy. As the class is ending the teacher class me to the desk. 

"Rae, please come here?" I hear Mr. Dix say so I walk over to the desk and everyone walks out as the bell rings. 

"Yes, sir?" I ask 

"I just wanna ask where you were the past couple days and give you some of the work so you don't fall behind." He explains picking up a few papers and handing them to me.

"Thank you, sir." I say and put them in my backpack. "And to answer your question, I was in the counselor's office and then yesterday I was sick. Thank you for getting these to me, and not just assuming I was skipping." I smile.

"You're a good kid, Rae, you just don't make the best choice sometimes." He says making me laugh. "What's funny?" He asks. 

"Oh, just someone said that to me not too long ago." I say.

"Well they are smart, and people should tell you more. When you tell someone they are bad over and over again they start to believe, no matter how wrong it is. Now head to class, here is your note.' He says handing me a small piece of paper and gesturing to the door.