070 • Dana

Dana had hoped this day would never come. 

Two weeks had passed since the funeral of her mother. All things considered, she wasn't unhappy. She had the feeling she really fitted in. Of course the fear that Maddox could step in any moment still slumbered in her body, and she had to admit the absence of a sign of life sometimes grabbed her by the throat. As if he was giving her this freedom on purpose, so it would destroy her even harder when he took everything away from her again. For precisely that reason she tried to enjoy every moment. She not only enjoyed the hours she spent with Juice, but also the company of the others. She felt home here. Not because she was Happy's sister or Juice's old lady, but because of who she was. Now and then she was even talking to her brother again. About simple things, but it was a start. Their relationship was starting to restore. 

And now they left.

Yesterday the club had laid hands on a new shipment of AK's and bigger artillery that were clearly meant to blow up Maddox' buildings. Even though Maddox had declared them war at the day he'd murdered her mother, this was the first public counterattack. And the guys were not beating around the bush. Piney, Bobby and Juice would stay behind to guard the clubhouse, the others were about to ride to San Francisco, together with some Sons from other charters. There were four locations they would assault in groups. It was going to be a bloodbath. Dana knew for sure. She knew this would go wrong, but nobody listened to her.

Even Juice was convinced their plan was solid. He laughed away the thought that things could go wrong. 

Dana could almost hear Maddox' triumphant laughter. She sat on the couch and massaged her temples. A dull headache plagued her since the moment she knew they would hit the road today. 

However this would end, her life would be different tomorrow. 

Or half of the club would be massacred, with no one left to keep Maddox away from her. 

Or Maddox was dead. Then she wouldn't be in immediately danger anymore, but she would still be tied to a motorclub who'd openly declared war to a gang of which they didn't even know how exactly they financed themselves. 

But Dana stayed silent about it. She'd already told them what she was thinking and there was no point in repeating it. 

She was a woman, according to them she couldn't assess the situation. 

Maybe they were right. She just hoped they were right. 

💀 

With a deep sigh she stood up from the couch when the men went outside. They were leaving. 

"Keep your worries to yourselves," Gemma instructed them. "Be strong."

Dana sniffed. She didn't care about her old lady peptalk. The last time they'd been confronted with Maddox' men, Opie had been very close to his death. It was up to Gemma if she was satisfied with a quick kiss from Clay, but Dana hugged Opie and Kip as if it was the last time she could do so, and she even broke through the awkward wall between her brother and her to hold him tight. 

"Please be careful," she whispered. 

"Sure." He lifted her chin and looked at her. "I'm fine. Got no plans to die soon. Don't worry, kid. I should have done this years ago." He let go of her and walked to his bike.

Sighing, she watched him leave. A hand slid into hers and she looked aside. Cherry looked pale. It was the first time Kip was involved in a major operation like this. It was probably the final hurdle to his full patch, so he was eager to prove himself. 

Dana straightened her shoulders. Now she understood why Gemma found it so important they stayed strong. She looked around to see where Kenny and Ellie were and noticed they'd found comfort with their grandpa. 

Juice stood a few meters away from her, his phone pressed to his ear. He'd probably called one of the other charters to pass that SAMCRO was leaving. His surly face showed he was anything but happy to stay behind. 

Nevertheless she felt an immense relief that he stayed with her. Yesterday they'd had a massive fight since he wanted to avenge her, but in the end she'd told him she was afraid Maddox had waited for this moment to get her out of here. Maybe he needed to make just one phone call when the first Harleys showed up on his block. The fact that she wanted him here  to protect her, had ultimately convinced him. 

Dana pulled her hand out of Cherry's and lit up a smoke. She gave her friend a cigarette too and watched how Bobby crossed the parking lot to close the gate. It wouldn't be opened before the guys returned, they'd told her.

She felt a soft caress across her hand, and a moment later her cigarette was gone. Juice took a drag, returned it and laid his arm around her waist. "They'll be back before you know it. Then all this shit is finally over."

Dana blew a cloud of smoke and watched how it slowly vanished. "I hope so."