140 • Kozik

Gemma's dinners were famous. Not only within Charming, also among the other charters. And her Christmas dinner – that was the cream of dinners. Together with the other Old Ladies and some Croweaters the woman had provided them a 6-course meal. Even though the family was anything but complete, for they could all feel the absence of Tig, Happy, Opie, Juice and Dana, quite a crowd had gathered and there was a smile on everyone's face. Even Kenny and Ellie were on the other side of the table, their grandpa next to them, and Kozik saw them smile for the first time since Opie had died. The sight of it made him miss his own daughter even more. She was celebrating Christmas with her mother, her mother's new lover and her grandparents, on the other side of the state. On happy moments like these he believed it could mean no harm to involve her within the club, but her mother thought otherwise. And, thinking about everything that had happened this year, he couldn't disagree with her. 

The search for Maddox had led them nowhere. Kozik had no idea what to do. Everything felt too risky and somehow he had the feeling Maddox experienced the same thing. Now Dana was no longer here, Maddox didn't seem to be in the mood to bother them and in return they couldn't do much themselves either. 

Maybe that would never change. 

It wasn't a great outcome; it meant that Dana would have to stay as an illegal in Mexico. Maybe she could find a job with her fake passport, but marrying under a false name would be a damper on their intended marriage, and apart from that there wouldn't be a single day in which she didn't need to look over her shoulder. 

But at least she would be alive. 

Kozik concentrated on the turkey again. When a silence fell, he told the new prospects about the time Tig and he had lost a game of pool against Happy and Chibs, where after they had to prepare Christmas dinner and somehow managed to let the turkey explode. He just wanted to fill his plate for the second time as glass was breaking. Something ended up in a bowl filled with tater tots. Immediately smoke filled the room. It stung his lungs and coughing he shoved back his chair, grabbing his gun. 

Right behind him, someone screamed, and Kozik realized one of the ladies must have went back to the kitchen to refill something. Despite the screams and cries of the children, Kozik tried to orientate. Where were the entrances? With his gun ready to fire he moved away from the table, squeezing his eyes. Through the smoke he could see shapes, but there was no way to separate friends from enemies. 

At least nobody is shooting. This wasn't a slaughtering, they wanted something from them. Were it Maddox's men? Or another group? Things had been quiet with the Niners for a while now, but you never knew with those guys. Sometimes a heated fight with one of the other chapters blew over. 

"There is no need to panic!" a voice sounded. "All we want to do, is talk."

Slowly the air cleared. Everyone had turned away from the table, and all his brothers were holding a gun in their hand. In the doorway to the kitchen stood a man, his muscular arm wrapped around Gemma's throat. His gun was placed against her temple. 

Kozik admired the woman. Her hands were trembling and fear was glowing in her eyes, but her cheeks were dry and she didn't get hysteric. His eyes shot to Clay, who had turned pale. 

"Let my wife go," he snapped at the attacker. "Whatever business you think to have with us; she has nothing to do with it."

"There is no need to panic," the man repeated calmly. "Do what you're told and everyone can leave this house in one piece."

Kozik studied the impassive face of the bald walking wardrobe. There was an earpiece in his right ear, proving Kozik's suspicions. 

Maddox again. 

Quickly his eyes shot through the room. He counted eight more men. They would have been able to gun them down if they hadn't been surrounded by women and children – and if there hadn't been a gun in Gemma's face. 

"What do you want?" Jax asked. Despite the tight situation he lifted his chin. 

"My boss wants to know where his girl is. Dana."

"Not here," Chibs answered. "Nobody knows where she is, except she and her lover. So ye better go tell that ass-"

There was a loud bang that vibrated through Kozik's chest. Chibs fell backwards. Kozik screamed as his friend hit the ground and stayed down. No grunt or scream passed his brother's lips, the bullet had been drilled inside his brain immediately. He was killed instantly. 

Petrified, Kozik stared at the body. It had happened so quick, so unexpected that he couldn't believe his eyes. As calm as Gemma had been a minute ago, as hysteric was she now. Screaming, she tried to struggle herself free. The children on the other side of the table hollered so loudly Kozik could barely breathe. 

"Let the women and children go!" he yelled. His heart pounded so wildly in his chest he was afraid it would jump in his throat and choke him. His life could just be over. They had killed Chibs without blinking an eye. 

"That won't be necessary," the man answered calmly. "Tell us what we want to know and we will leave."

"We don't know man!" Jax repeated. "She left the state without tellin' us a damn thing!"

A silence fell. The wardrobe tilted his head as he listened to the instructions that were given him via his earpiece. 

"There must be a way to contact her." The man punched Gemma's face, and when she screamed he wrung his gun into her mouth. 

Kozik felt Clay's eyes burning on him. He was the only one who possessed Juice's new number; one handler had felt the safest. And he wouldn't betray them. For no one. And despite the fact that it was Clay's Old Lady who was at gunpoint now, his President couldn't ask him to give Juice's number. Then he would be the one betraying the club himself. 

There was a deafening blast. Sobbing, Kozik bowed his heard as he heard Jax and Clay's screams. His legs were shaking. He took a few deep breaths. As he looked up again, his look crossed Bobby's. He nodded. 

Kozik knew there was a fat change he would make it to the end of the year. But if he did nothing, they would all die. He turned to the side and started shooting. More shots followed while Piney pushed the children under the table. 

Because of the tears blurring his sight Kozik could barely see a thing, but he fired and fired until a bullet in his chest and shoulder knocked him on the ground.