|53| Comfort

"He can't seem to handle all the reactions and impulses in his brain. That's why it doesn't work. His body filled with quirks is too much...when he remembered you...it just drove him crazy and so his brain self-destructed because it can't handle too much information." Hana explained while you stared at the room where you witnessed him die.

"But...did you managed to get some information?" You asked, slightly hopeful of what the result might be. Hana paled as you asked the question and she even tore her gaze away from you, eyebrows were furrowed in disappointment.

"We didn't."

You gripped your burned arm, gritting your teeth as you sighed. "I figured."

"I'm so sorry, Shuzenji-san. All your efforts were...wasted."

You shook your head as you smiled sadly to her. "No. I should be the one who says that. I guess I pushed him too much. He even spoke...in the end." You blinked, frowning as you reminded yourself of his hoarse last words. "He spoke in the end... He said, 'Angel. Must have.'" You didn't know why but it sent shivers down your spine. Himikura recognized you, but how in the world did he know that you were...the Angel Hero? Are you the one he mentioned in the first place? But he wouldn't react that way if it wasn't you right?

You were utterly confused.

"You should rest for today, Shuzenji-san. Tsukauchi shall take you home. Rest well."

You nodded at Hana's instructions while Tsukauchi approached you with a stern frown, his hands were curled into a fist. "I'm so sorry that happened. I shouldn't have..."

"No, no..." You shook your head and smiled at him, "I'm...fine."

If you were going to be honest to yourself, you were really not okay. Not when you witnessed the death of a tainted person...not with the fact that the League of Villains might be...searching for you. You didn't have the time to make up the theories but you were pretty sure that they were interested in you. You shook your head and stood up, looking up to see Tsukauchi. "I want to go home."

Tsukauchi felt the sadness and the exhaustion in your voice, so he had no choice but to follow you. You were too young to be even involved in this kind of situation but here you are...suffering. The detective can't help but feel sorry and stupid of the actions he had done. But nothing would move forward if he just in the place of being clueless. Now that he had gambled on the risks, the detective had to face the consequences of his decision.

It was a quiet drive to your home and those hours you were in the car, you just stared at the window. It was weird...you can't cry even if you wanted to, as if you felt numb and empty all of a sudden. What happened back at the lab was something you won't forget, that's for sure...but it was something you certainly wanted to forget.

The time you arrived home, you noticed that there's no one there. You were alone on the floor, and it was uncomfortably quiet. You plopped yourself in your bed, lying down on your chest as you heaved a deep breath before closing your eyes, letting the exhaustion take over your body.

Then all of a sudden, all you can see was the blood pooling around you, getting closer each second. The noise was ringing, a screech, a scream, a growl, a scowl... You looked up, seeing a Nomu hanging in front of you, blood was dripping down from its eyes, its head was beating and its voice was hoarse as if it's in pain. Its hands reached for your throat, suffocating you until you can't breathe nor speak. You tried to scream for help but no sound comes out.

Help...somebody...save me...

You were about to lose against the Nomu, drowning in the dark abyss when you felt warmth in your cheek.