Forgotten Birthday

Dear mom,
Today is July 2nd, I turned 18 yesterday. I'm feeling a bit sad to be honest, since nobody wished me a happy birthday.. I don't know why I feel this way anyway, no one even knows about it, only you and dad knew and you aren't here anymore. I love you both, I know you guys are looking down on me from heaven. Say hi to him for me please..
- with love, Lucy Heartfilia

A salmon haired boy's eyes widened as he read one of Lucy's letters to her mom. He didn't know her birthday was yesterday, and he could've still not know it if Lucy hid her letter like she usually does.

Natsu's head turned to look at her peacefully sleeping on her bed. He carried her to the bed after he found her asleep on her desk again, she was probably writing her novel.

He had a sad look on his face, well of course he did, yesterday was supposed to be the happiest day for his best friends life and he didn't know about it. What kind of a best friend was he?

He wished that he could go back in time and fix this. Then she wouldn't feel sad. The grip on the letter tightened, but soon loosened. He placed it back on the spot he found it in and walked towards Lucy.

His hand gently brushed a blond lock of her hair away from her flawless face and caressed her cheek.

"Oh Luce, you selfless dummy.." he sighed.

If only she had told him, he could've made it better..

Lucy mumbled something in her sleep as her eyes slowly opened.

"Natsu..? What are you doing here in the middle of the night?" She said with dazed eyes, still half asleep.

Natsu was slightly startled by her, but quickly shrugged it off.

"Shh Luce, I just came to see you, go back to sleep.." he whispered sweetly and stroked her hair.

"But.. why don't you.. sleep too?" Lucy breathed and put her palm above his stroking hand. Natsu's cheeks turning into deep crimson color as he took the blanket and pulled it over her body.

"I.. uh.. sure, I'll sleep too" hand covered his mouth, trying to prevent Lucy from seeing his blushing face. He turned the lights off and took off his vest. He slowly stepped over Lucy and got into the bed, his arms automatically wrapping around Lucy's sleeping figure.

She turned around in her sleep and cuddled up into his chest, warmth taking over. This was most definitely his favorite way to fall asleep.

The smell of her overwhelmed him in every way, the calming scent of vanilla and strawberries, his favorite smell.

His muscular arms tightened around her body as he placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

~

"Mm.." Lucy hummed as she woke up, felling completely warmed up. She scanned the room and found no clue of her pink haired dragon slayer. Her eyes shifted and noticed how she was wrapped up in blankets, he most certainly did that to replace the warming feeling when he left.

Lucy got up and walked to the kitchen, making a breakfast before Natsu returns.

She mixed all ingredients together for the pancakes she was making in her oversized shirt that went just below her bottom.

-

"Good morning, old man!" Natsu walked in the store, greeting the worker inside. Grandpa inside lifted his head to the call and stopped doing paperwork.

"Yes, young man? How can I help you?"

"My best friends birthday was two days ago, and none of us knew about it, so I need some kind of a gift. Can you help me out?" He asked as his arm rested on the counter.