Chapter 72

I think about the fact that Dans jacket might be behind me, or the serviettes next to my bowl, or maybe I have something on my face. Surely he's reaching for something I tell myself, thinking he wouldn't try kiss me after I already told him I was with Harry when he got too close to me outside of work that one time. But it's when his lips are less than an inch away from mine I realize he's really going in for the kill, my entire body now running cold with a shiver.

"Dan stop" I say pulling my head back away from him and he slowly opens his eyes, "What are you doing?"

"What do you mean?" he smiles before closing his eyes and trying again, only this time I not only move my head back, but my chair screeches against the tiled floor as I push myself away.

"What's wrong?" he asks, genuinely confused by my reaction at his advances, though I imagine my face is just as confused. What the hell does he think he's doing?

"Dan, I'm with Harry" I state the obvious, and he shifts his eyes from side to side as if I'm talking crazy.

"No. You're on a break remember" he almost laughs pathetically and I frown at his rude assumptions about this being okay.

"So?"

"So you're technically not with him" he shrugs, getting comfortably closer again.

"Technically or not, I honestly don't care. I'm with him" I say clearly, not really knowing if that makes sense or not but just hope he gets the point.

"But you're on a break. Isn't this what couples do when they're on breaks? Get with other people?" he explains in a simple tone as if I am the most stupidly dumb person to not think about it this way.

"No actually, it doesn't mean they get with other people. It's just means they're separated temporarily"

"Pfft. Temporarily" he repeats my words mockingly whilst rolling his eyes right. "You don't actually think that's going to work do you?"

I raise my eyebrows at him as if to ask what on earth he is talking about.

"I mean, you don't actually think you two are going to last?" he asks and I feel my mouth fall open immediately.

Of course I think we're going to last. Yeah we have a few ups and downs, or a lot at that, but who doesn't? And I could not imagine standing next to anyone else besides Harry for the rest of my life. He is my life. And every second more that I am here with Dan, the more I want to run out of this door and go find Harry myself. I want to apologize for everything I have done to piss him off, forgive him for things he's done to make me angry, and never let go of him again.

"Besides, how are you even supposed to know what or who you like, until you try out your different options" he says before moving in once again, and this time he comes in full force though I'm just as fast.

Just as his lips merely brush mine I push my chair back, making it fall to the floor while I stand to my feet with my hand at the ready to slap Dan straight across his face. He has no right to make advances at me when I've made it pretty clear who I want to be with.

"Don't" I say more sternly, my hands shaking at my side as adrenaline starts to pump through me.

Dan and I have become close friends over the past couple of weeks and I don't think he would ever force himself upon me though a girl can only say no to a kiss so many times.

"Shit Ella" Dan says frustrated, as he too stands up now, "What the hell do I have to do for you to give me a chance?"

"Dan..." I try to start talking but I'm too lost for words to even try explain myself in a way that won't seem to rude.