Heights

(Publishing before I sleep)

Based on a prompt on Tumblr

Jellal Fernandez, the city's hero, also known as The Sorcerer, stood across his nemesis, Erza Belserion, The Scarlet Despair. Although, Jellal had won most of their battles, Erza never seemed to take giving up as an option. Erza comes and try to destroy the city of Magnolia almost everyday, but Jellal will always be there to stop her.

It was rumoured that the reason she always lost was because of her lack in flight ability. Even her minions tried to push her to upgrade her powers, yet she would always refuse. The citizens didn't really wonder why as long as their hero was able to defeat her, but her minions still haven't found the reason as to why.

It's nothing big, really. She just bore the fear of heights. Erza always called Jellal a cheater for being able to fly, but it didn't really matter to him. He had an advantage, so he used it. And today, he decided to experiment a new trick.

As their eyes shot sharp glares towards one another, Jellal readied his flight magic. He muttered, "meteor," under his breath. Without receiving a warning, Erza found Jellal lunging towards her, as fast as lightning. She didn't even had the chance to react before Jellal took her in his arms and flew upwards, pushing her past the limits of gravity.

Erza, being afraid of the very long distance from them to the ground, she gripped onto his suit tightly, digging her nails onto his back.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?" Her legs firmly hooked around his torso. And her mind kept repeating the same phrase over and over again, one slip and you fall, one slip and you fall.

"I knew it!" he shouted. "You're afraid of heights! That's why you never try to chase me in the air!" he had a proud grin smeared on his face as he listened to her terrified shrieks.

"So what?! Since you've figured that out now, just put me down!" one of her hands were gripping tightly onto his blue hair. But Jellal tolerated the pain, because he wasn't going to just end it here.

"Get ready, Scarlet. You're about to lose, once more." He could barely feel The Scarlet Despair letting herself breathe, and she was clutching onto him so hard as if he was going to kill her. With a smirk, he dipped and flew straight down.

"No! Wait, fuck! STOP!" she begged, burying her face into the crook of his neck to prevent herself from looking down.

But being curious, she accidentally let one of her eyes peek, and oh god, she was positive that today will be her death day. And she hasn't even had the chance to try the cakes at the new bakery that just opened up yesterday.

Landing on his feet, with Erza secured in his arms, he could feel every part of her trembling. He tried to dispose of her from his body, but she was holding onto him as tight as a koala would hold onto its mother.

He took a look at her face and found her brows knitted together, her eyes shut as tightly as they could, and her teeth gritting as if the air was cold. He actually felt bad for the torture he caused. It was odd, because she was the villain.

"Uh, hey. We've landed," he told. Hearing that, she stopped shaking, her eyes finally opened to look around. She didn't know why, but it still felt like the sky was still so close. Either he was lying or she was just paranoid.

Slowly and cautiously with each movement, she backed away from him limb by limb. She was relieved and felt like her lungs could finally work properly again when her shoe touched the solid ground. After she let go of a breath, her eyes made their way to his face. Frowning and growling, she punched him in the face.

"What the hell were you thinking?!"

Massaging his pained nose, he replied, "trying to make you lose?"

"I'm not-- eEK!" she then realised why the sky still felt so close. They weren't on the ground, they were on top of a bloody building! She started to lose breath again, trying to breathe. Her vision was becoming blurry, that's when Jellal quickly caught her before she fell.

He raised a brow, dumfounded. She fainted.