True Feelings through Chocolate

"What is it, Yao?"

It was early in the morning and Yao had come to pay me a visit. I was still in my nightgown.

"I thought a lot, aru. And now I finally have a plan!" he exclaimed. He seemed to be really excited.

"What plan?" I asked him.

Yao gave a bright smile. "Your feelings will reach Japan, aru."
I stared at him, confused. "But how?"

"Through chocolates, aru!"

Chocolates? How can I convey my feelings to Kiku through chocolates?

"Umm, I don't understand, Yao."
"It's okay, aru! I'll tell you!"
"Oh, okay."

Yao cleared his throat before he began. "In Japan, when a girl confesses to a boy, she gives him a love letter or homemade chocolates. So...you are going to make chocolates for Japan so that he accepts your love, aru!"

Oh, I see...So I will make chocolates for Kiku so that he‐ Wait...So that means I have to confess to him?!

"I‐I have to confess to Kiku?" I asked as heat rose on my cheeks.
"Of course, aru! How else would he know?"
"B‐But ‐ "

Yao put a finger on my lips to quieten me. He placed his other hand over mine and gently smiled.

"You don't have to worry, (Y/n). I will be there for you, aru. I will see that everything goes well."

Yao...He was doing everything he could for me...So that I could be happy...

"Thank you, Yao," I said softly.
"It's oka‐ (Y/n)? Why are your cheeks red, aru?"

My cheeks were red? I quickly got up and looked in the mirror. They indeed held a soft blush. But...why?

Yao chuckled. "It seems that you think a lot about Japan, aru! Anyways, I will be going then. Meet me at the kitchen later, okay aru?"

"Umm, yes!" I turned as I saw him leaving.

I looked at my reflection again. My blush was now replaced by a frown. I couldn't understand what was happening to me. Why were my cheeks flushed back then?

Thoughts kept running in my mind but I decided to ignore them as I started to get dressed.

A while later, I found myself in the kitchen with Yao. He had brought a chocolate recipe book with him. We turned the pages and looked through each of the recipes. All of them looked so good!

"(Y/n), how about this one, aru?" Yao pointed.
"Oh! These are Nama chocolates! I heard they are really popular in Japan."
"Okay, then! We'll make these, aru!"

So it was decided that we'll make Nama chocolates for Kiku. Yao brought out the cocoa powder and whipped cream while I melted the dark chocolate in a saucepan.

"Be careful now, aru. We don't want you to burn your hands again," Yao teased me.
I smiled.

After the chocolate got melted, I added the cream and cocoa powder in it and started mixing it. The mixture was too thick and I ended up getting covered in chocolate as I tried too hard to blend it.

Yao chuckled. "You look sweet, (Y/n)."
I blushed in embarrassment.

A strand of hair fell on my face and I tried to remove it with my chocolate‐covered hands.

"Uh, (Y/n). You have some chocolate on your face, aru."
"Where?" I tried to wipe it off from my face but I ended up getting more on.
"Wait, let me help you, aru."

Yao came closer to me and leaned forward. I felt my heart race as our eyes met. He gently used his thumb to stroke my cheek while I stood there, unable to move or think. I could only feel as Yao's warm hand gently caressed my face.

"Done, aru," Yao smiled.

I didn't answer. I was overwhelmed by a warm feeling in my heart which left me in a light daze.

"(Y/n)?" Yao took my name.

"H‐Huh?" I responded, still unable to think properly.

"Are you alright, aru? Do you feel sick?" He started worrying.

Was I? Is that what happens to me whenever I am with Yao? I get sick?

"Oh, no...I'm alright," I said, looking down. My face felt hot.
"If you feel sick then you can tell me, aru. I have medicines."
"It's okay. I'm alright," I gave him a shy smile.

We continued preparing the chocolates. Yao helped me cut them in blocks after taking them out from the oven. A sweet aroma came from the freshly‐made chocolates and filled the entire place. I hoped that they taste good as well.

"All set, aru!" Yao said as he packed them in a box.

I took the box in my hand and smiled. I was finally going to confess my love to Kiku. All my dreams were about to come true.

"You should hurry now, (Y/n). Japan must be waiting for you, aru," Yao whispered in my ear.
"How did you know?"

He winked at me. "I told you I will be there for you, aru."

I smiled in content.

"Good luck, aru!" Yao said as I made my way out of the kitchen with the box of chocolates. But before leaving, I turned to look at Yao once again. His radiant smile brought the same feeling back to my heart.

Just then, I realized. I may not be able to comprehend this feeling...but what I did know was that it was special.

I smiled as I turned back and walked through the corridor...

It was a beautiful day. A light breeze blew my hair as I entered the garden, walking alongside the flowers in full bloom when I spotted Kiku. He was waiting under the shade of a tree. My heart started pounding in my chest while my face burned red.

"K‐Kiku!" I called out to him.

He turned to my direction. He smiled as he walked towards me.

"Hello, Miss (Y/n). Is there something that you needed from me?"
"Umm, yes!" I blurted out.
"I see. What is it?" He looked at me with a soft gaze.

This was my only chance. I have to tell him.

"Kiku, I..." I looked down, nervous.
"Yes, you...?"
"I...love..."

Looking up, I saw Kiku's eyes widening. My heart started filling with hesitancy and self‐doubt. I finally cried out.

"I love pancakes! Can you take me to that café again?!"

Kiku stared at me, surprised. I too looked back at him with a bewildered expression.

Oh no. What did I just say...?

I shut my eyes in embarrassment and waited for Kiku to laugh at me. I felt so dumb.

"Is that only it?"

I opened my eyes and saw Kiku smiling at me. His beaming face soothed the pain in my heart. I was about to answer but I stopped and simply nodded.

He gave out a soft chuckle. "Okay then, Miss (Y/n). I will take you there."
"T‐Thank you..." I blushed profusely.
"So, it's a date then."

I looked at him in surprise.

"I‐I mean a friendly date," he corrected himself.
"Oh, I see..."

As I walked out of the garden, I realized that I hadn't given him the chocolates yet.

"Well, I can give them to him during our date," I smiled to myself.