chapter eighteen

Lost

lost: (of a person) very confused or in great difficulties.

chapter eighteen

Dave's POV

It's been almost 2 weeks since I went out of town with Sakiya, and she's ghosted me. I was back in New York, but I hadn't heard shit from her. I called and texted but she never responded.

I had got mad shit from my niggas.

"I'm telling you boy, these bitches said it was a city girl summer— or a hot girl summer. I don't know one of them. But she straight played yo ass." Trey laughed.

"Mane whatever. I can't even believe this shit." I said, puffing on my blunt.

"Nah but for real though, I think if it's real she'll come around." Trey said back.

The homie Trey played for the Dallas Mavericks. But he was in New York with me for the release party of the mixtape and the appearances I had going on. We was going to T up. Trey and I played ball together back in the day. I was supposed to be where he was at, but shit happened.

We were on set for my video of My Dirty Little Secret, the song I had wrote about Sakiya.

Hearing the song play over and over was taking a toll on me. But a nigga had to push through. Work was work. It was going to be my lead single after Perfect with Chris Brown. We had filmed the video for that awhile back. It had already dropped.

After the shoot today, I was heading back to Dallas with Trey. He was getting started with practice for the season. Then I was going to pop up on Sakiya, not at her house. I felt like that was some weird nigga shit. I decided I'd go by her job, at least see if she was at work.

We shot more and more for the video for hours. We all took a break, so my baby moms Rita brought Kairi by the shoot. I went in the back room of the set with them.

"So what's going on?" I said, as she sat down and handed me Kairi.

"Kairi I missed you baby." I said, kissing her face.

"Daddy daddy daddy." She said, as she giggled and held my face.

Rita just smiled.

"Damn you just gon' ignore a nigga." I said, as I played with Kairi.

"No— I just— miss seeing y'all together." She sighed.

"I promise, after the mixtape drop. I'm going to be back in New York for awhile. I won't be back and forth." I said, still playing with Kairi.

"What's the real reason why you're going back and forth? It ain't that much in Dallas. New York is your home." She said back.

Rita always was inquisitive. That's part of the reason why we couldn't be together for real. She was always going through my shit.

"Work is work shawty." I said back. I wasn't getting into detail.

"I'm not stupid David. I saw a Jodie posted up with a girl on a boat." Rita said back.

"Why are you asking me this almost 2 weeks later?" I asked, ignoring what she said.

"Anything that's keeping you from seeing Kairi I wanna know about." She was about to blow my high.

"See, now don't play me like I don't see my daughter."

"You see her but not enough. You were in Dallas for almost a month."

I sat there just listening to her.

"Maybe you should consider moving back in with ——" I cut her off.