chapter twenty six

Lost

lost: (of a person) very confused or in great difficulties.

twenty-six

2 months later...

November

Dave's POV

I was in Dallas visiting Sakiya for the weekend. It was the weekend before Thanksgiving. We hadn't really talked about her plans much. My family didn't celebrate it, but we did have a big get together that day and just kick it. This year, since a nigga was on, it was at my house. My house back in New York had a pool. We were hoping it wouldn't be a brick outside so we could chill by the pool and just have family time. My folks missed me, especially because I was back and forth all summer. I was ready to chill in NY, for the fall. But, I wasn't sure how I'd do that with Sakiya in Dallas.

But I really liked her so I was willing to do whatever and make it work.

We had just ate dinner downtown and we were walking the city. Sakiya called it the metroplex area.

I couldn't even cap, it was chilly. She had a nigga about to freeze.

"Ma you killing me. It's brick out here." I said.

"It is not that cold." She said, rolling her eyes.

"To you, you got on my jacket." I said.

"Alright alright. You right." She laughed. We came to a bridge and Sakiya stopped. She put her arms on my shoulders.

"Dave, thank you. You're the best." Sakiya said.

"Don't thank me. But where is this coming from?" I chuckled.

"I just really like you, and I appreciate you. Not very often do you find someone who makes trips from NY to Dallas to see you." She said, blinking slow.

"Well I really like you too. Answer me this." I said, looking her in the eye. She always stared me right back. She wasn't no shy chick. She wouldn't look down or nothing.

"Do you mean what you say when you're high?" I asked her, referring to her saying she loved me. It's been 2 months and it still stuck with me.

"Of course. I mean they do say a drunk mind speaks a sober heart. Granted, it's probably magnified by 10, because ya girl be gone, but.." She laughed.

I kissed her.

She kissed me back real slowly.

"So you really love me?" I asked.

Her eyes got wide, "I mean yeah of course. I do. Did I say that?"

I nodded.

"Fuck. I was wasted for real." She said, looking down.

"But yes, I do. I love you." She added.

Love was a strong word and saying it after 5 months was mad crazy but I felt myself about to say it too.

"I love you too." I said back. She smiled.

"And I want you to come back to NY with me for Thanksgiving. My family doesn't celebrate the holiday like that, but we do get together and turn up. I'd love if you was there, so you could kinda see where I'm from. You know, you've showed me a lot of Dallas and where you from." I said.

"That sounds wonderful. But before I give you an answer I do wanna tap in with my people and ask them what their plans are for Thanksgiving. Usually we take a trip. But I haven't heard no word yet." She said. I appreciated her honestly. She always told me what it was right then. Never leading me on.