Chapter 68 - Back and Forth

The crowd of saviors prepare for the battle as Jack watches them soak their knives, hatchets, arrows and you name it in piles of walker blood and guts. She is physically sick so she goes inside to get away from it, throwing up when she reaches the bathroom. She takes some time to herself, while Negan goes to see Dwight who has since returned. He came back alone and it is obvious that Laura is most likely dead and that makes Jack sad for the little boy.

Jack re collects herself and leaves the bathroom, she decides to check out the infirmary, knowing that it's her job now, as Harlan Carson is dead. She has to deliver her baby on her own, no doctor and that is a little scary, things could go wrong but she can't think about it that way. Going through some of the things she lays down and tries the fetal doppler again, and this time she hears a heartbeat loud and clear. This makes her cry tears of joy knowing her baby is alive inside of her and growing. Negan would love to hear it too, but he is busy planning the attack against Hilltop.

Knowing very well she can't go, it does piss her off but it's not safe for her go now and Negan wants her to keep things under control here while he is gone. He knows that she can handle, he puts his trust in her so Jack has got this in her back pocket. She does worry every time he leaves her, the fact that he could die if he leaves, but she is sure he will be fine.

As she makes her way back to their room, Jack stops by the kitchen to grab something to eat, but there isn't a whole lot so she goes with a can of peaches. She would kill for fresh peaches off the tree right now, but they haven't gotten any from Kingdom just yet. That reminds her of Gavin, who she guesses is also dead, Negan never told her for sure but he never came back and that always means someone is dead. Jack eats her peaches, and devours the can in no time, and she also eats some green beans as well. Her stomach satisfied she goes back to her room to work on writing till Negan leaves.

Negan walks down the hall to Dwight's room, carrying some bottles for him. He is actually surprised that he came back, he thought for sure that he was dead after that convoy left Alexandria that night. But he returned and that is a good thing, at least for now it is. Negan knocks on the door and waits for him to answer. Dwight opens the door and he is shirtless, and shocked.

"Welcome home, Dwighty boy" he says as he hands him the bottles and he takes them. "I gotta say it is damn good having you back. See things gotta get done. I need my top guys out in front acing that shit"

"Thanks" is all he can say, as he stands before his leader. He crosses his arms as he faces the man in leather.

"Had yourself a close call i hear"

"I got ambushed, i took this" he shows him the gunshot mark on his arm, above his tattoo. "The rest didn't walk away. Well until...i got to the woods. Kept going. You know headed towards Hilltop i figured our people would be putting up a blockade sooner or later"

Negan listens to his little speech and he seems a little weary at first. "Good job. But we pulled the blockade. Have to let the mice play a little, 'cause our people need to get their business in order" Negan gets closer to the beat man. "You'll see. So..why don't you just slug a beer, put on your best vest and get your ass downstairs 'cause like i said we got work" he laughs and turns around to leave the room.

Negan makes his way to see Jack as he knew she was sick from seeing the nasty shit going on outside. Simon and the other guys are still rounding things up, but Negan has to check on his girl first before they can leave. Jack is not going and that is final, he told her before and he will tell her again this is going to be a quick little swing by to Hilltop to prove a point, and out they go quick and easy, well he hopes for that. He walks down the hall to his room and opens the door to hear his beautiful girlfriend singing.