Gathering storm

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
                                                         -Voltaire

The kingdom of Estfalia, in its rich history, started out as a mere city-state of a great empire that once ruled the entire continent of Valence through the use of power and fear. Approximately 500 years ago, when the great empire was at its peak finally ran out of land to conquer, its people began to form a complex that they are the most superior of all the entire world.

Years passed and their complex became more severe as their thirst for war has put them in the edge, the nobility, even the emperor. He then called out to all the greatest magicians of the continent and create a spell that can make a large portal to another location. A few more years passed by and the effort and sacrifices made by the magicians bear fruit and paved the way to a new world filled with riches, knowledge, and land. Not taking a break from the breakthrough, the emperor called for a grand crusade in invading the new lands and promised everyone riches to those who joined. Millions answered the emperor's call to arms and it took months for them to prepare. Due to their belief of being superior, they did not care who they will fight because eventually, they believed that they will win as always. But they were wrong.

As they step foot in the new land, it was a vast empty city filled with unknown and strange-looking buildings that reached beyond the clouds at the distance. The common soldiers could only look with awe and some filled with excitement that they were gonna conquer this land and its people that could create such structures they haven't have the means to create. As for the higher ranks, especially their general who led the invasion force, he couldn't help but be filled with pure anger and hate as he saw how magnificently these people could create these many buildings so neatly and their architecture with such mastery. His pride was getting crushed every second he takes a look at the much more beautiful city compared to theirs, he ordered his men to sound the trumpets of war and told everyone to raze the entire city into ashes. As he gave the orders, he saw an insect moving on his armor and caught it then squished it, rather than expecting its insides bursting, a small electrical spark formed which he paid no mind.

As his men began to march forward to the city, many large flying vessels appeared from above the clouds