Prompt Response

"Back in my 20s, when I wrote 'A Place of Greater Safety,' the French Revolution novel, I thought, 'I'll always have to write historical novels because I can't do plots.' But in the six years of writing that novel, I actually learned to write, to invent things."
                         -Hilary Mantel

1700 hours

Representative meeting

2 hours after the chemical attack

There was a gloomy atmosphere during the meeting. Although it was a video transmission, everyone else could see it in their eyes. Some of the original representatives we're not present and another had to take the position. Some either died or injured.

It was Avrora who stood beside Y/N that spoke first.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the contamination level puts it in the red zone. The environment is filled with high concentrations of chemicals that make it more lethal than anticipated. No one goes in or out without the proper equipment. It would be a miracle if someone survived that. Nonetheless, the aspect of mass deaths in the area will give rise to superstitious beliefs and essentially make it a ghost town."

"We've rebuilt it before, we'll rebuild it again. The blood of thousands has already been spilled in these lands for centuries." Eric spoke.

Tanya then inquired. "Casualties?"

"Possibly 30,000 to 50,000. Until we can verify the population from any archives or book inside those areas, nobody has an exact number." Avrora replied.

"Damn..." Tanya cursed. Her hair starts to levitate as it turns from white to blonde for a brief moment until she calmed herself down.

"Your Excellency, you saved as many of my people as you could. We of the Kingdom of Saar will not forget this act." A representative made a clenched fist to his heart as a sign of respect.

Although the representatives understood the limits of everything, Y/N was deep in thought while the meeting continued. His head raised to face the camera with the dignity of a leader as he begins to speak.

"When they speak of this moment, we will not be the ones who stood guard while Weissenheer died. Someone is responsible for all this. Those vile men must be brought to light."

"Whatever you need, your Majesty. We fear our nations might suffer the same fate as Weissenheer. Our forces are no longer able to sustain a lengthy campaign so I must apologize for out leave." Another representative spoke.

2134 hours

Finstarnessi Forest, Weissenheer

At the dead of night deep inside the wilderness where only the strongest and enduring beasts thrive in this habitat known by the locals as the Finstarnessi Forest or the Forest of Darkness where no man dared to venture. The graveyard of armies who dared to challenge the forest and the site of many tragic events of the past. Nobody tempted to tread on these paths for many centuries.

As if the sanity of those who saw it unfolding was doubted, cutting through the eerily peaceful night, the rustling of dead leaves and the sound sticks snapping and branches breaking, dozens of horses galloped through the quiet forest. Not stopping for anyone or anything as the calm and peaceful silence of the forest was just subterfuge as many predators of the night silently observed and stalked their prey waiting for an opportunity to pounce.