Italica has fallen

Sometime before the Esthirant Uprising

The plot thickens in the Japanese-Saderan Question. It was now dusk. The sun painted the land in bright orange as it descends and gives light to the lands beyond.

The three offensives orchestrated by the Allied Army should, by all accounts, not considered to be a battle. A better example would be a horde of charging Soviets during 227 versus a battalion of pure MG-42 and artillery on the high ground. And of course, the biggest reason for this was because the Empire was "mysteriously" absent.

To put in simpler terms, a preventive war without a declaration.

At that time, the flags of over 21 nations were raised in the camps of the Allied Army with a force numbering over 100,000 hailing from all over the continent. The sight of soldiers from various nations gathering in one place was awe-inspiring. Their combined strength was equal to that of an army three times their actual number, and their advance darkened the sky and shook the earth for days. Everyone felt that this battle was a foregone conclusion.

How close-minded of them...

Originally, Alnus Hill was revered as a sacred place, but in truth, it had been little more than a slightly slanted mound. There were no trees to block one's field of vision and no large rivers to block routes of advance, nor were there precipitous cliffs. It was simply a little bump in the earth in the middle of a large expanse of green open space that was more of a target-rich environment when one old army decides to battle against a modern army with artillery.

They had been told that the top of the hill had been taken by the enemy, but they had not received any information about the local terrain at all. According to the Imperial troops in the area, the invaders from another world seemed to be doing strange things like digging holes and ditches, as well as surrounding themselves with a strange curled fence of little needles.

If they could build underground fortresses like Dwarves, it might have been troublesome, but progress is slow should Humans be the ones to do it. It would be impossible to complete it within a month or so. That being the case, the victors would be the ones with superior numbers. But they were the Japanese. Even the Americans will understand the effort it takes to clear their defenses.

The movement of such a large army would need time. To counteract this, they have been placed on standby ever since the Saderan Expedition ventured through the Gate. After all, it took almost half a day to travel from the head of the formation to the rear.

Setting up camp would also take a lot of time, about 10 to 20 days.

Even so, the Allied Army reached Alnus Hill in a matter of weeks and encircled the hill in accordance to their prior battle plans, and began forming their battle lines while keeping a safe distance from the enemy. At least there was some competent general somewhere.

That distance would be determined by individual experience. That was to say, they had to consider the ranges and minimum safe distances for archers, ballistae, catapults, and so on. However, the JSDF had cleverly camouflaged their trenches and rifle positions with nettings and a combination of colors so as not to let the enemy discover them.

As a result, it is what I would expect.

God sides with the best artillery.

They stood no chance at all, but what bothered me was that the Japanese supposedly killed one of the Kings while they were calling for them to offer terms. And out of revenge, one of the Prince tried to attack them before getting killed with a loud bang. Perhaps...

No... it must be something else. There was no gunshot when they killed the King, but there was for the Prince?...

"And what of the other kings?" Pina asked. Cutting me from my thoughts.