Chapter 3: Family Outing (Saigon)

My dad was very animated as we walked along the trail that led to the hot pool close to the border. Maybe it was because he was with Peter again. The other sub was even a bit more voca than usuall. My father was also doing most of the talking as he walked with Rupert. The dominant would nod or give a simple one-word answer every once in a while. I glanced at Archer. It was clear from his parents that he wasn't going to be the one who started the conversation.

"So how has the last year been? You're a full-fledged dominant now."

Archer shrugged. "Grunt labor, like all the younger dominants. I get to run my guts out every day."

Saigon chuckled. "You were always fast. Rupert was the same from what I've heard." I motioned to the brown werewolf in front of us.

"Hmm..."

"It can't be all bad."

Archer shrugged. "It's not. It's just a lot of work. You'll find that out for yourself soon enough."

"Yep." I took a deep breath. "Until I leave for college."

He scoffed. "Why the hell do you want to go to college?"

"Rupert has a degree."

"So?" Archer shrugged. "He got it online."

"But, he has one."

He glared at me. "You can get one online, too. There's no need to run off and pretend to be civil like everyone else around here." He shook his head. "When did everyone get so obsessed with education. We're werewolves."

"I'm not going to Midfield University."

Archer's ear twitched. "Then, where? Is there another werewolf run university?"

"There might be." I scanned the surrounding forest. "I'm going to a human school."

Archer's eyes grew wide. "Why the hell would you ever want to do that? I thought you were insane when you wanted to go to a human high school."

"I went to a human high school because I wanted to socialize with them so I could fit in better at one of their universities."

"You really are insane," Archer said under his breath. His ears splayed to the side slightly. "That means you're not staying. You're leaving again like Jagger."

I nodded. "I'll be leaving in August."

He sighed. "Well, I'll be here taking care of the pack because our so-called future leaders are too busy learning how to count to bother." Archer marched on ahead of me.

"It's a bit more than that."

Muttering to himself, he passed our parents.

My father looked back. "What's wrong?"

"I told him I was going to college."

"Oh." My father nodded. "Has Archer ever thought about going?" He turned to Rupert. "He could room with Saigon."

"No," Rupert said firmly. "I don't want him around humans. If he wants to go to college, he can do it online."

I joined my father as we fell back from the group. The subs hadn't even noticed that anything had happened.

"Does Rupert not like humans?"

My father shook his head. "It's not that. Peter is human. He's never had a problem with your grandparents, either. It human society he doesn't like. Peter had it tough before becoming a werewolf. I think he just doesn't want Archer to experience that."