Chapter 23

Yunhee gasped and retreated a step

Taehyung's encounter with Jimin ten years ago hit close to home. She remembered that day in her world. It had been pouring with rain and she was in a hurry to find a dry spot indoors and grab a hot chocolate. She recollected the café, reading the menu through the window, staring at that guy.

A tide of exhilaration erupted in Yunhee's stomach when the realisation hit her.

She wanted to laugh hysterically; it was so delightfully crazy. The handsome man inside the café, the one she couldn't take her eyes off, the one who'd distracted her so she'd tripped over that darn paving stone, was none other than Park Jimin.

'I was there,' Yunhee uttered, the scar on her knee tingling as she thought about that fateful day.

'Yes,' Taehyung murmured, snuffing out his cigarette, 'I guess I have you to thank for what happened that afternoon.'

Yunhee's brow wrinkled as she stared at the plush rug beneath her feet. Taehyung's account was different, the tale he'd recently regaled informing her that she had altered Jimin's decision by walking into the café.

In her world, however, she'd never made it inside. She'd fallen and gashed her knee on a piece of glass.

Was it possible that Taehyung was mistaken?

'Allow me to humour you for a moment, Miss Hahm,' Taehyung cut into her muddled thoughts.

Deciding to keep her interpretation of her story to herself, Yunhee glanced up, noting the man was no longer lounging in the tub chair, but walking towards her with a satirical smile on his lips.

'You claim that I'm your boyfriend, that Jimin is Mafia King, yet I've certainly never had the pleasure of sleeping with you, and the Jimin I know is dead. If anything coming out of that pretty mouth of yours is remotely true, it would mean that there are two versions of us in two different worlds.'

Yunhee gulped and recoiled away, unsure if Taehyung was mocking her or if he had cottoned on to the phenomenal event.

'By the sounds of it, somewhere, somehow, our fates took a different path, but let me tell you something, precious,' his tone darkened, his smile curving into a foul sneer as he backed her towards the suite, 'I don't give a shit about some magical tale of chance and circumstance. In this world, I own Seoul. I call the shots.'

Yunhee's legs hit the sofa, Taehyung's looming figure forcing her into the seat. He followed her down, his mouth close to her cheek as he trapped her in place with his arms.

'I remember you, Hahm Yunhee,' he purred in her ear, 'I remember you that day in the café, just as I remember you the night I killed you.'

Yunhee inhaled sharply and reared away to look at him. Taehyung's face was inches from hers, his eyelids heavy, his eyes shining with wickedness as he glimpsed avidly at her lips. He knew. He knew that she was the woman who'd died alongside Jimin that night in the bar.